Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hive straps, am I missing something?

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

Default Hive straps, am I missing something?

I seem to go through hive ratchet straps on almost an annual basis, is this normal?

My hives have had them on almost permanently this year due to the wind. The straps simply degrade, presumably because of UV. These are cheap, ratchet straps, and I am wondering if it is a false economy, at our beekeepers meeting someone said theirs last five years!

I'm not sure if I'm using them a lot more, or is there some secret supply of long lasting straps?

David

I,ve used 19mm braided black strapping with 20mm black buckles from online are cheap work and after 6 years don't seem to have degraded and they're on all the time

I'm trying out stainless ratchets (for yachts) with military webbing (got both on evilbay), works out at £7 total for a really long strap (would even go round an Ian Craig hive ) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25mm-Stain...EAAOxyDEVSbt5z
    I got the double stitching done using a denim needle on the sewing machine with rotproff thread (cost me in various household chores & grovelling though)
    The webbing from China is cheap but poor quality (no surprise) ,but the UK & US stuff is really heavy duty & shouldn't rot
    Seal the ends with flame before sewing & they won't fray

The MK2 version is in two parts & attaches to either side of the hive stand in order to avoid the risk of someone disappearing with it. Also it makes the hive that bit more difficult to steal as you'd need your own strap or have to haul my clyde built stand with the hive

I got fed up fighting with rusty ratchets (didn't want to contaminate everything with oil or grease)
    You can buy ready made up Stainless ratchets but they are pricey
    Last edited by EK.Bee; 18-11-2015 at 12:24 AM.

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

That's brilliant, thanks both. Looks like this is an area where cheap price has been a false economy for me.

I'm off to look at both options now. The stainless ratchets look good, esp if they are less flimsy.

EK.Bee - how does attaching to the stand work? I just run mine right under the stand cross pieces.

David
    Last edited by Wmfd; 18-11-2015 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wmfd View Post
    That's brilliant, thanks both. Looks like this is an area where cheap price has been a false economy for me.

I'm off to look at both options now. The stainless ratchets look good, esp if they are less flimsy.

EK.Bee - how does attaching to the stand work? I just run mine right under the stand cross pieces.

David
    I buy stainless screw in eyes or plates & thread through & stitch up

I'll post a pic tonight

The stainless ratchets are fairly chunky

Go direct to Spanset.

They have the lever type hive straps, and light, medium, and heavy ratchet straps.

The hive straps are under £3.50, the light and medium ratchet straps...which are good quality and don't degrade, at around a fiver, strap length in a choice of sizes. The heavy one are the same as for trucks and generally not needed by beekeepers.

Really good for an association joint purchase.

Spanset: An association purchase would probably be a good idea; when I contacted spanset as an individual about a year ago the price they quoted for a small quantity (40) worked out at more than Thorne's catalogue price when VAT and delivery were added. Made me wonder, too.

One tip, if you go direct you won't actually find the straps listed in their online catalogue (unless that's changed recently) because they class them as a 'special' item. Another tip, Thornes have been adding them to their sale listings for the last couple of years, the most recent sales price was £2 each so it may pay to wait till the start of January if possible.

Personally, for stationary hives I prefer big rocks. Just seems easier somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post

Personally, for stationary hives I prefer big rocks. Just seems easier somehow.
    Me too, but I'm stopped for my first slurp of coffee after being out before first light to check if some of the rocks weren't big enough for that hoole last night. So far had to fetch one pay nes poly roof from the hedge the other side of a field - they don't fit standard nat equipment so the wind can flip them- and two standard roofs balanced on bucket feeders which I wasn't wurprised about. I'm about half way round so not too bad so far. I'm

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    Me too, but I'm stopped for my first slurp of coffee after being out before first light to check if some of the rocks weren't big enough for that hoole last night.
    We've yet to receive our first big blow of the winter -a month late by average dates. Infact the weather pattern over the last couple of months has matched what we had prior to the big storms and floods of winter 13/14...

I bought mine in Thornes sale two years ago - £2 each . They have been in continuous use since then with no degradation.

I don't like heavy rocks as I make all my roofs from Insulation board.. And I - or rather my back - dislike lifting heavy weights if not very close to my body...
    Last edited by madasafish; 18-11-2015 at 12:18 PM.