Thread: Hoping to start out next year.

Default Hoping to start out next year.

I was hoping someone could help me, I've been considering keeping bees for a number of years and I am finally at the stage where it is viable. I live in the Cumbernauld/Glasgow sort of area and I am awaiting a reply from the local association with regard to beekeeping classes in the area.

I have 3 nieces, ages 7, 5 and 1 who visit the house often, is it dangerous to keep bees in that sort of environment? Also I live in a residential area but there is a massive glen just down the road which stretches for miles to Kirkintilloch and beyond, there are also local farms etc, do I live in the right environment to keep bees?

Thanks for any help offered.

Jen

Blog Entries

Hi Jen

On gardens, children and bees, I suppose it depends! I had my bees in the garden for years, with seldom any trouble. However when there is trouble someone gets stung and that is never good. Most bee colonies are mild and just ignore folk for much of the year. However at the time of and shortly after inspections they can be a bit ratty, and when they are queenless (often around this time of year, for perhaps a fortinght or so) they can be aggressive. So I moved mine out, and although I don't see them so much it is better that way.

There is a small but friendly group near you, meeting in Lenzie Public Hall:

Kelvin Valley
    Ian Ferguson, 4 South Glassford Street, Milngavie G62 6AT 0141-9563963 jeanian@ferguson2007.plus.com

http://www.kvba.co.uk/

I'm not sure whether they run beginners classes, but I'm sure that they could find you a mentor.

Alternatively Dunblane and Stirling are a large and well-organised group, running excellent classes in Dunblane each year:

Dunblane & Stirling
    Peter Hunt, Wildenmore, Main Street, Gartmore FK8 3RW 01877-382594
    pd.hunt@virgin.net

http://www.dsbka.net/

best wishes

Gavin

I did the Dunblane & Stirling course last year (2009) and it was really good, would hugely recommend it. The course venue is likley not decided yet - may be Callendar, or Dunblane, or somewhere else entirely - either way, not too far from Cumbernauld.
    If you decided against keeping them in the garden, then am sure you would be able to find a landowner /farmer who would be happy for you to keep bees somewhere nearby, so you should be able to find an alternative which will still allow you to keep bees.

A few years ago I bought some bees from an older couple who very successfully kept their bees in their suburban garden in Lenzie which is in your neck of the woods. So it can be done. I would however recommend putting up a screen behind which to site the hives. It would help with keeping the bees flight paths above head height.

Gerry

Mine are in my front garden and the children ride bikes there etc. and we have the postman and delivery drivers walk up the path without incident. However I did get an angry hive last year - it just developed from a queen purchased the previous year - which WAS a pain, fortunately I was able to move it away for a while until a new queen had her effect and they settled down, so acccess to an out apiary would be an advantage.