Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New book on wild British bees

Blog Entries

No problem carrying a bag of queen cages in the panniers

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Received my copy of this yesterday:

It is a cracking guide to all 275 UK wild bee species. Bought mine from NHBS, well worth going there rather than the usual tax avoiding mega online retailer as they support conservation work in various ways. Even if it is a little more expensive from them.

http://www.nhbs.com/title/206535/fie...in-and-ireland
    That NiHBS do get everywhere.....native bees, four seasons magazines and now a swanky new bookstore

This is a stonking book. Much needed as well and lovely illustrations.

My copy arrived today (bought the hardback as a christmas present to myself). Hope to use it to name the solitary bees on dozens of my photos I have taken over the last few years.
    Interestingly on page 416 (the 2nd of only 2 sides on the honey bee) he writes that there has been a recent decline in the national honey bee stock through colony collapse disorder. I am surpised that Prof Rob Paxton ( one of several people listed in the acknowledgements) didn't put him right on this

Blog Entries

Yes, sadly his honeybee two pages aren't the best and he does say it is generally regarded as an ancient introduction which doesn't accord with current opinion. Best pass them over in favour of the excellent 99.75% on wild bees.

My earlier comment on Amazon being cheaper is no longer true (unless you have arranged free P&P from them). NHBS is definitely the place to go for all sorts of reasons ... at least for the paperback. However the hardback has now sold out.
    Last edited by gavin; 14-11-2015 at 04:17 PM.

I recently got my copy of this book (which is excellent). It may have been posted here before, but Steve Falk has a Flikr website with photographs of bees (of all types). Well worth a visit.