Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Native Honeybee Society

The question was whether you were aware of Bernard's AMMs showing a tendency to apiary vicinity mating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No as I took my virgins to Conon Bridge to a bee farm to mate with drones from Bernards queen line up there. Very successful it was too.

PH

What about supercedure queens (didn't you mention you had a significant proportion of queens replaced by supercedure?)? Anything noteworthy on apiary vicinity mating with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    What about supercedure queens (didn't you mention you had a significant proportion of queens replaced by supercedure?)? Anything noteworthy on apiary vicinity mating with them
    What about your bees, Drumgerry? If they do demonstrate this behaviour is it possible to upload a video?

Blog Entries

I have been away for a week and saw this in my in box http://www.hebrides-news.com/rare-bl...len-12417.html
    Little shits...........

Yes about 60% superceeded on the Heather and this was known due to marked clipped queens. It could also be annoying to find the queen you had chosen for that seasons breeding was no longer there.

PH

I wasn't making any claims in favour of it Prakel. It's not something I've particularly noticed in my bees but then again I don't lay claim to my bees being especially close to being pure AMM. But it's something that both Andrew on Colonsay and I think Jon in Belfast have noticed in their AMMs. If it's something that AMMs do in poor weather or even generally it could have major implications for the true breeding of queens in the absence of II.

I just wondered if PH when he was custodian of Bernard Mobus' AMMs had noticed anything of the like.

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

P.S. Losing the two colonies might be down to late supersedure but I will leave that for another post.
    That’s how I finished my last post so I will carry on from here.
    When I started beekeeping in the late seventies Bernard Mobus' was still coming to Orkney and carrying out beekeeping demonstrations. I only meet him once when I was asked to make up a nuc before the gathered crowd at my mentors apiary. I was very wet behind the ears and a nervous wreck but everything went ok in the end. My mentor often received queens from Bernard that came in the post from Craibstone. My mentor had very good dark bees, he breed for the best traits and he often talked about the Maud strain but that meant nothing to me at the time. He often kept four year old queens that would produce nice supersedure cells. Late supersedure was common in his apiary and it was not unusual to have marked and unmarked queens in the same hive in September. After he died my mentor’s bees were distributed to several beekeepers in different parts of Orkney so that strain is now no longer pure. But the majority of colonies here are dark and a lot have a high percentage of AMM traits.
    I tend not to inspect my colonies after late August because we don’t have to treat for varroa here (YET!) But on the occasions when I have been in hives in the autumn I‘ve come across the odd sealed queen cell. The most annoying thing is to open up a hive in the spring and find your healthy marked queen has been replaced by a drone layer or no queen at all and just an open Q C. In Clive de Bruyn’s Practical Beekeeping he said “supersedure is much more common than generally realized” although he didn’t specifically mention late supersedure. So I’m none the wiser if this is just an AMM trait. By the way there is a good Maud bee thread on this forum.
    http://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/sh...ight=maud+bees

Did anyone else get the SNHBS newsletter ?

Great stuff.

Yup ... as a contributor, am I allowed to agree with your "great stuff"?!

Gavin's article on identification is a welcome addition for those interested: http://www.snhbs.scot/identifying-native-honey/

Did any members NOT receive their newsletter ... do let us know.