Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Native Honeybee Society

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thymallus View Post
    So good luck and hopefully you won't resort to the Irish tactic of shotgunning hives that contain "alien" bees or so the rumours say.
    DYOR re who is spreading that rumour on the other forum.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news...nds-honey-bee/

Come along on 1st April ! No joke !

Blog Entries

I hope yea are not going to set up an Apiary dedicated to Native Scottish honey bees. They tried that in Ireland in 2014 and this is what they had to get around. I dont know how many died in the stampedes.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...es-255305.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    I hope yea are not going to set up an Apiary dedicated to Native Scottish honey bees. They tried that in Ireland in 2014 and this is what they had to get around. I dont know how many died in the stampedes.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...es-255305.html
    We promise not to set up apiaries beside cliffs with lots of cattle innocently wandering about!

Somewhat grateful that the dozens of pictures the photographer took of me kneeling, leaning, standing over bee hives didn't make it to print. I can imagine Kirsty's reaction when the photographer returned with his SD card stuffed with images: 'He looks like *that*?!!"

At the behest of the photographer, Angus, and in some warm sunshine and still air, I lifted the first frames of the season in one colony. Turned out to be a drone layer.

There is one MiniPlus overwintering on that site, 5 frames of bees, three with brood, lots of food and the queen wandering about wondering where to put an egg next. Like a good number of my full-sized poly hives they are likely to be straight into a second box in March sometime at this rate. Some of the poly hives are full boxes of bees right now and the Amm ones mated at our isolated site are the strongest. Just sayin'. They can be as vigorous (and hopefully as productive) as anything from the C lineage as long as they are not inbred. Will post some pictures soon.
    Last edited by gavin; 28-02-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Blog Entries

If you are not going to be in Europe you will not be subject to European import laws relating to bees, therefore you could have a ban on imports.

Blog Entries

That's true but I think you will find post Brexit that the UK will be lowering the bar on most issues rather than raising it.
    A lot of regulations will likely disappear for better or for worse, probably for worse.

Blog Entries

When I was looking up something different I came across this site not everybody is happy to see Amms, I assume you will have similar problems in Scotland.
    http://www.beekeeping.ie/html/open_letter.html

No surprise there then.

PH

Blog Entries

Good luck to all involved with the organisation of the inaugural meeting tomorrow.

Coverage on the Beeb today ...
    Looking forward to the launch tomorrow

PS Disappointed by the small size of Scottish honey bee colonies ... only 10,000 according to the figure legend on the BBC.