Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: organic varroa control

Blog Entries

I suspect that Apiguard is OK as the standards talk of using approved methods, but I really don't know. Yes, it looks like you will have no problems with Varroa control. Formic acid (Mite-Away) and sacrificial drone brood may be other options.

G.

Blog Entries

I looked into keeping bees on an organic farm when I started out and I don't recall that any of the varroa treatments applied to the hive had any effect on the farm's status itself but there were some pretty strict (and quite random in parts) hoops to jump through to get the honey itself certified. I was looking mainly to see if there was anything in particular that I needed to do as a beekeeper so as not to impact the farm's status and as far as I could see there shouldn't be a problem (usual caveat about internet advice applied ) and the farmer didn't see any problem either.

There is a new thymol based treatment out that claims to be certified organic but I've not looked into it much yet, nor have any idea how good it is, nor, now it's relevant actually remember what it's called.