Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could a mushroom save the honey bee.

Blog Entries

Default Could a mushroom save the honey bee.

Wasting time on the internet when I should be working, Oh well, I found this article and video thought might interest some of you.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/...e-the-honeybee

Blog Entries

I often see bees sucking water from my manure pile - Hmmmm. ? Mushrooms grow in manure, is there anything in this - dont think so but hey you never know !

Blog Entries

I saw a short video of bees sucking up water if i can find it ill post it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by busybeephilip View Post
    I often see bees sucking water from my manure pile - Hmmmm. ? Mushrooms grow in manure, is there anything in this - dont think so but hey you never know !
    Warm liquid and minerals must be a major part of the attraction. And the mischievous delight in horrifying the beekeeper (or honey eater).

Did you say *my* manure pile?!

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

I see my bees hovering around the bottom of a planted up whisky barrel which has often been peed on by the dog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Warm liquid and minerals must be a major part of the attraction. And the mischievous delight in horrifying the beekeeper (or honey eater).

Did you say *my* manure pile?!
    lol Gavin........Do you remember the roadside sign that used to be at Broxden farm, just outside Perth heading for Glasgow?

I best 'pick your own' tradition, you were invited to 'bag your own manure, 50p a bag'...........they changed the sign a bit and its now a pound a bag.

All the bees I know love the liquor that seeps out of the bottom of dung middens.....dirty little brutes at times..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    lol Gavin........Do you remember the roadside sign that used to be at Broxden farm, just outside Perth heading for Glasgow?

I best 'pick your own' tradition, you were invited to 'bag your own manure, 50p a bag'...........they changed the sign a bit and its now a pound a bag.

All the bees I know love the liquor that seeps out of the bottom of dung middens.....dirty little brutes at times..
    I do indeed! Gave me and the kids a chuckle more than once. There was one occasion when I set off in that direction with some empty bags in the hope of enriching the allotment but the traffic was showing no sign of slowing down as it raced off to Glasgow so the mission was aborted.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    I do indeed! Gave me and the kids a chuckle more than once. There was one occasion when I set off in that direction with some empty bags in the hope of enriching the allotment but the traffic was showing no sign of slowing down as it raced off to Glasgow so the mission was aborted.
    I get the 'haver of the week' award. Broxden farm was inside the ring road....the one outside with the sign is I think East Lamberkin....but the story is the same.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    I get the 'haver of the week' award. Broxden farm was inside the ring road....the one outside with the sign is I think East Lamberkin....but the story is the same.
    Quite right. The place we've had so many meetings with Scottish Government must be on the old Broxden Farm site?

You could be starting a new trend with an occasional 'haver of the week' award to posters. Lovely to have a beekeeping forum where words like 'haver' get an airing. Haver in the Proclaimers sense, a word used throughout my childhood for some reason .

Blog Entries

But could a mushroom save the honey bee? Naw, the man's havering.