Thread: eke depth

Default eke depth

was going to make a apiguard eke, can anyone recommend what depth it should be?

Blog Entries

about an inch works fine

All you need is a small headspace for the trays, so an inch would be ample. You could get creative and make one deep enough to convert a National to a 14x12, or to take a half block of fondant. Some build reversible crownboards, with a shallow lip (9mm or so) on one side and an inch or two on the other. That way they can be inverted for Apiguard treatment or feeding when needed.

Hmm you've got me thinking...
    understand what you're saying about converting national to 14x12 but I'm on langstroths.
    could be a idea to make one i could use for feeding as well though, would they build brace comb if it was 75mm/3inch to take a rapid feeder? if so might be as well to stick to a super for feeding :/
    thanks

Blog Entries

If you want to use it for feeding fondant or for raising the roof above a rapid feeder 3-4 inches would be better. I have ekes of various depths and I put one on top of the other depending on the need.

Good article on the reversible crown boards: http://theapiarist.org/perspex-crownboards/

You can get some plastic suppliers to cut the boards to size for a modest cost.

Blog Entries

I got a piece of plywood 18" square cut some 2x1 placed around the outer edge then made an inch and half hole in centre, I am going to use it like a crown board with fondant placed over the hole in a small tub obtained from chinese takeaway with similar hole in tub, i will fill this with fondant and when empty replace it with another tub saves opening the hive to feed, it can be turnned upside down for apiguard.