Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honey shows.

Blog Entries

Default Honey shows.

There seems to be a lot if honey shows on at the moment we are even having a local show with all members encouraged to enter something either honey, wax, cake or something new like an invention or a photo.
    The top prize appears to be in all shows no matter where they are held a perpetual silver cup, I would hate to win one of these cups having to look at it all year, could people organising these shows not come up with something better like a hive tool, smoker or hive parts even a new queen anything bar a cup.

If you win a cup you have your name engraved on it so that the next winners can see how clever you've been.

Blog Entries

No need to worry. The only folk likely to win one of those cups are hard core show freaks, the kind of person who really wants cups on their mantlepiece or in their cabinet.

It seems to be the same everywhere. The subset of association members who get passionate about showing declines and the subset who can't be arsed with this sort of thing grows. We do try to encourage new exhibitors and if you exhibit members get the right to sell honey on the stall at the Dundee Show so that helps keep some interest.

One thing that lightened it for me at the SBA tent at the Royal Highland Show a few years ago was a new category (with a nod to the Two Ronnies), Four Candles. A much needed injection of some humour. You could see the glazed eyes of the public as they wandered past brighten significantly, at least the eyes of those who twigged.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    The only folk likely to win one of those cups are hard core show freaks, the kind of person who really wants cups on their mantlepiece or in their cabinet.
    Anybody who retains a competitive streak just hasn't really grown up yet (like me!). But - the showing of honey/products should help promote the craft, let people see what can be produced or show a level of activity in an association. Of course if the display is pants then that also sends a signal. I do think that if you go through all the hassle of extracting honey you might as well try to do a good job of presenting it, as good as you would see in shops or shows and the way to learn how to do that can be to enter and get feedback. Actually I am surprised at the poor presentation of honey for sale in some large stores where you see stuff that, I now know, is not show standard.

I guess those horrible cups are simply a legacy of the past; we've all moved on and the way things are going then the honey showing

Blog Entries

Quite right, there is a place for showing. Upping the quality and spreading knowledge on how to achieve it are important aspects that justify the whole thing. OK, how do we make it relevant, more attractive to exhibitors and to the audience? Events like the Dundee Flower and Food Festival remain strongly supported by the public. Probably most go there for something interesting to do - listen to celebrity chefs, listen to local musicians, lots of things to entertain the kids. As beekeepers we should be trying to make the displays more engaging and offer several things to grab the audience and make them wonder or put smiles on their faces.

The Jampionships last year added something new to the weekend - a burst of creativity and fun. It contrasted with the generally staid labels and presentation of the honey across the tent.

Can you tell that our exhibit next September is on the mind at the moment?!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feckless Drone View Post
    Of course if the display is pants ....
    Hmmnnn .... is there a germ of an idea there to liven things ..... ?

Blog Entries

The honey which wins the show has usually been heated and filtered so many times that it is not even edible anymore.
    There are folk who enter the same batch year after year.
    If taste were the key factor, none of the usual suspects would win a thing apart from the UK filtration perpetual trophy.

Blog Entries

Jon, What does that say about the judges sense of taste ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    If taste were the key factor, none of the usual suspects would win a thing apart from the UK filtration perpetual trophy.
    I never thought I would adopt a position to defend the "pedantry" of show judging. I have to admit to finding the process/activity ever so slightly amusing and there is a wealth of data in this for some psychology research. OK - maybe its all been done.
    Good judges will easily be able to tell what has done the rounds before and what is this years crop. I've seen several occasions when the judge decides on the basis of taste - and then that's a very personal thing as well. So, I'm happy to let them that want to compete go ahead and them that want to improve skills in getting to marketable/presentable honey do that, and them that don't is fine as well. Like every aspect of this craft; there has to be room for different approaches and interests. Ive found it instructive to enter the shows and I would encourage every beginner to have a go.

At the Dundee FFF there is the added incentive that a small exhibit entry fee gets you into the show with a significant saving on the full price. Right, there you are I am a cheap, immature, easily amused, pedant.

Jon - you get any entry forms for the UK filtration trophy?

Blog Entries

One thing that does get my goat about honey shows is the repeated entry of exhibits, that is between shows of the same year and the same entry each year. Eg Wax blocks ! I see the same block at our show each year, of course the way to stop this is to put a mark on each entry as it has been judged. I'm sure that many would disagree and I understand why but if credit has been awarded at one show then why should it be repeated at another.

For example a honey cake when judged is cut in half, it can not then be re entered into a show taking place in another county next week so why not other exhibits barred in the same way ?
    Last edited by busybeephilip; 13-10-2015 at 02:15 PM.