Thread: Deformed Wing Virus

Default Deformed Wing Virus

Are colonies that exibit D W V doomed to failure because of transmission of the virus throughout the colony causing rapid decline due to loss of infected bees or can the colony "outgrow" its effect.Is there any treatment ?.I am aware that varroa infestation can spread the virus rapidly but does the demise of varroa due to anti varroa treatments also cause the demise of D W V ?.

Blog Entries

DWV isn't necessarily the end of the colony. Get the Varroa under control and the colony will be fine.

Blog Entries

Out of interest, is DWV linked only with varroa, or can it spread in other ways? Did it exist in British bees before varroa arrived?

Blog Entries

As far as I can tell, DWV is one of many viruses that were present at low levels and often without obvious symptoms, prior to Varroa coming the way of many of us.

DWV can be transmitted from an infected queen to her offspring for example.

Did it exist in Britain before Varroa? I think so ... not sure though. There was a virologist looking for Varroa-free areas so that he could study the virus load in Varroa-free bees. I pointed him to Colonsay (he was wanting to buy colonies), but if he gets his funds (I think that he's just about to find out) than maybe he'll be interested in Mull and Orkney too.

G.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLY View Post
    Are colonies that exibit D W V doomed to failure .....
    Just to reinforce the message above, I know someone who hasn't treat for Varroa for 4 years and regularly has bees showing DWV. OK, I understand that he has now segregated his better from his worse colonies and has treated the worst, but only in the last year. Most of his bees control Varroa themselves and his winter losses are low, generally much lower than most beekeepers in his area.

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLY View Post
    Are colonies that exibit D W V doomed to failure because of transmission of the virus throughout the colony causing rapid decline due to loss of infected bees or can the colony "outgrow" its effect.Is there any treatment ?.I am aware that varroa infestation can spread the virus rapidly but does the demise of varroa due to anti varroa treatments also cause the demise of D W V ?.
    I had DWV in my bees early this spring. I re-treated for varroa (I had treated in the winter, but either they found some bees with high varroa to rob or I must've treated wrongly). They are now fine. Can't see any evidence of DWV in the hive, and they have built nicely.

After reading this article about D W V I have been monitoring my one hive after looking at my bees through the glass which is over the escapee holes and also the dead bees that have been turfed out I have not seen any deformed wings however I noticed a bee running around the landing board in a panic its wings were pointed straight up and not along its back probably there is a simple explanation can anyone enlighten me. kirk boy.

Hi Gavin
    Do you have any info on the husbandry of the bees that have not been treated for varroa.What type of hive,does he use foundation or let the bees
    build and choose there own cell size, any info much appreciated.
    Keith

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Hi Gavin
    Do you have any info on the husbandry of the bees that have not been treated for varroa.What type of hive,does he use foundation or let the bees
    build and choose there own cell size, any info much appreciated.
    Keith
    Nationals (standard and 14x12), with foundation. They are managed in the standard way, although honey is left on for winter feed.

The more thoughtful of the champions of natural cell size (Dennis Murrell, Joe Waggle) no longer think it to be that important.

G.