Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: neonicotinoids update

Default neonicotinoids update

Most of you may know that Friends of the Earth is challenging the DEFRA decision ( July 22) to permit the use of neonicotinoid seed dressing in some places in England.
    Only last week was the information on which the decision was based made available to the public.
    Scotland ( Dr Aileen McLeod's office) has confirmed that there is no intention to waive the current moratorium here - but anyone interested in pollinator welfare should be aware of what happened, and how deep is the complicity of the English Parliament.

The full text of information is available easily from the blog of Matt Shardow, CEO of Buglife.
    https://www.buglife.org.uk/blog/matt...ments-revealed

It is worth reading!

Blog Entries

Im not long here myself and smiled at your post, hope you enjoy the forum, there have been numerous posts here on this topic so sit back and read and lets see if you change your mind.
    http://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/sh...=worst+science

Blog Entries

To be fair, the issue of Dr Lu's science is simple (it is rubbish) whereas the rights and wrongs of the regulation of neonic applications to seed sown in the UK is a lot more nuanced.

I am guessing that if they don't dress the deeds they just spray more ?

That should be seeds darned predictive text

Post poor old docotr LU

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    To be fair, the issue of Dr Lu's science is simple (it is rubbish) whereas the rights and wrongs of the regulation of neonic applications to seed sown in the UK is a lot more nuanced.
    One might get the impression that the only research done is by a doctor LU. Not so!
    There's plenty more around and increasingly pointing a finger at some neonicotinoid applications.
    Can't understand why some bee-keepers are SO passionate about hanging on to it? maybe one of its exponents could explain that, as otherwise it looks a bit stange?

Blog Entries

If you google the word Neonicotiniodes you will get over 100 thousand results depending on what other words you put in, There are many different opinions both for and against their uses, i dont think beekeepers are passionate about keeping it, some say it is better than some previous chemicals used on crops other entomologists say, the problems with bees kept in hives are colony management issues, the blood-sucking varroa mite, the miticides beekeepers themselves use to control varroa infestations and various viruses. How many hives will die this winter from starvation, if you are a member of a beekeeping group you will hear of beekeepers telling you they have no varrora because their bees exhibit hygenic behaviour so dont treat, In this months 4 seasons magazine there is an artical about treating for mites but the author says he/she has not treated for the past three years. Where is the proof that Noonicotiniodes are killing bees, I personally know where there are 155 hives and if each hive had 60,000 bees thats 9300000 bees within 40 km radius. I also count Bumblebees on a two 2km transects and there are lots of bumblebees forageing along these tracks not to mention the nests I know of. The problems are probably lack of foraging plants, habitat loss ,Habitat fragmentation and wet cold summer we have had. Wheather farmers should use neonicotiniodes or not will be a long drawn out debate Im just thankful im not a farmer trying to make a living off the land as it is a very difficult thing to do, wheather its livestock or tillage crops.

Blog Entries

Neonics seem to cause more problems for Bumblebees and some other pollinators than they cause for honeybees.

I see strips planted at the sides of fields to help pollinators etc
    Problem is that if a field is sprayed the overspray lands on the nature strip as well so it negates any benefit
    It feels like the cod quota where the fish still get caught and killed but not landed
    Perhaps any subsidy or grant could be directed at having proper set aside and a sliding scale of crop subsidy which is inversely proportional to the amount of chemical input during the season

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk