Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honey in the jar True or false.

Blog Entries

Default Honey in the jar True or false.

Honey is composed of 18% water, 35%Glucose, 40% Fructose 4% Sugars, 3% other substance, Bet you didnt know that , Only Joking.
    Therefore we are told that honey is made from the nectar bees collect from flowers. Nectar is secreted by nectaries, which are glands located in flowers, and the secretions are especially designed to attract pollinating insects. All good so far. But If you feed your bees Syrup from refined sugar can this be turned into Honey.
    If Bees break down the sugar (sucrose) into its component parts (fructose and glucose) can this then be called Honey.
    What is the definition of Honey if I sell it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    Honey is composed of 18% water, 35%Glucose, 40% Fructose 4% Sugars, 3% other substance, Bet you didnt know that , Only Joking.
    Plus sunbeams, fairy dust and several other magic ingredients. Also flavour from the flowers, and protein too in some cases.

Honey has to be from nectar. If it is contaminated with syrup or sugars from fondant then you can't really call it honey. Most beekeepers take care to ensure that the two don't mix.

I'm for the new honey standard - nectar, sunbeams and fairy dust.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alancooper View Post
    I'm for the new honey standard - nectar, sunbeams and fairy dust.

Of course, I forgot aphid/scale insect excretia too .

and legs ... i don't think my filter is any good

... no wings ... no flights of fancy ?
    Last edited by Kate Atchley; 20-09-2015 at 08:14 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Plus sunbeams, fairy dust and several other magic ingredients. Also flavour from the flowers, and protein too in some cases.

Honey has to be from nectar. If it is contaminated with syrup or sugars from fondant then you can't really call it honey. Most beekeepers take care to ensure that the two don't mix.
    But do they, How can a punter be sure that the honey in the jar is not diluted with syrup after all beekeepers feed bees syrup to keep them from starving. Syrup is fairly cheap and readily available unlike nectar. All nectar produced by flowers and taken back to the hive is converted to honey, by the same token all syrup taken back to the hive can be converted to honey, my origional question is what is the definition of Honey if it is put in a jar for sale. The WHO defines honey as “Honey is the natural sweet substance, produced by honey bees from the nectar of plants or from secretions of living parts of plants or excretions of plant-sucking insects on the living parts of plants, which the bees collect, transform by combining with specific substances of there own, deposit, dehydrate, store and leave in honeycombs to ripen and mature.” http://www.honeytraveler.com/types-o...ney-standards/ as you can see further down on that page in America, “…honey does not require official inspection in order to carry official USDA grade marks…there are no existing programs that require the official inspection and certification of honey…” does not mention sunbeams, fairy dust or flavours.

that page in America does not mention sunbeams, fairy dust or flavours.
    What! - no fairy dust in American honey? - no wonder they have bee problems.

Blog Entries

I just came across this discussion on the BBKA page.Thymallus further down the page says:Some of the health food magazines are shouting in horror about how we feed our bees with sugar syrup and sell it as honey. I've lost a few sales when I explain that "yes I do feed them sugar syrup, to get them through the winter".
    I know it's a misconception by the health food firms, but people do read and listen to what they say. http://www.bbka.org.uk/members/forum.php?t=7849
    and then there was this: http://www.bbka.org.uk/members/forum.php?t=6121

I just came across this discussion on the BBKA page.Thymallus further down the page says:Some of the health food magazines are shouting in horror about how we feed our bees with sugar syrup and sell it as honey. I've lost a few sales when I explain that "yes I do feed them sugar syrup, to get them through the winter".
    I know it's a misconception by the health food firms, but people do read and listen to what they say. http://www.bbka.org.uk/members/forum.php?t=7849
    and then there was this: http://www.bbka.org.uk/members/forum.php?t=6121
    A few years ago, maybe 04 or 05 we had a particularly wet spring and I had a few overwintered nucs which were on the verge of starvation. Went into the local coop and bought some emergency sugar rations; got to the till to be served; young woman stood behind me comments on the amount of sugar I was buying; I reply that its to feed my bees. BANG. She proceeded to 'lecture' me in a suitably loud voice on how it's totally unacceptable to cheat by putting sugar in the hive and that honey should be gathered naturally straight from the flowers. Couldn't get a word in edgeways.

Suffice to say, from that day on I became a 'jam maker' when buying sugar.
    Last edited by prakel; 22-09-2015 at 08:05 AM.