Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honey

Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post
    I checked on them today and put some sugar syrup on them but didn't take of the suppers as they did not look caped, but after conferring with a very knowledgeable member on here he advised me to take them of and the honey would be ok as they stop capping it when the flow of nectar stops, so tomorrow I will raid the suppers to see what I get?. One of the hives was very aggressive today when I had a wee look at its supper "humm not surprised" it's all there hard work i'm thinking of taking.
    Hi Gwizzie
    try and make sure that you leave them enough stores for winter
    It's a bit late for sugar syrup feeding now I would think

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Hi Gwizzie
    try and make sure that you leave them enough stores for winter
    It's a bit late for sugar syrup feeding now I would think
    Hope not. Our second tankerload just arriving this evening.

All depends on hive type and location however. Bees we fed in the middle of last week are pretty well all finished their 14Kg of invert, and as recently as this weekend were still drawing foundation. Still have ovewr 800 to feed, and actually not worried about them taking it. Want to finish the wooden hives this coming week,or 10 days, but the polys will take syrup fairly readily well through to late November unless particularly weak.

Fed two large groups on Friday and Saturday, and peeked in on some of them this afternoon, and the best of them had already taken well over half the syrup.

However, wooden hives and Ross-shire means it is getting late, though the forecast for the next ten days or so is generally favourable.
    Last edited by Calluna4u; 26-10-2015 at 07:28 PM.

Hi C4u
    You are able to get wax drawn in October and are still feeding syrup in November so I am probably over cautious
    I find they are not keen to draw wax in colder weather and if they take syrup down late the hives have condensation and damp through Winter
    I must try to take more chances but am always worried about just losing them over Winter

So Gwizzie apologies for planting seeds of doubt
    You are on the right track it seems
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post

However, wooden hives and Ross-shire means it is getting late, though the forecast for the next ten days or so is generally favourable.
    Its ok there in polys and there taking it NO prob..... even seen some bees taking in pollen this afternoon ????

Hi C4u
    You are able to get wax drawn in October and are still feeding syrup in November so I am probably over cautious
    I find they are not keen to draw wax in colder weather and if they take syrup down late the hives have condensation and damp through Winter
    I must try to take more chances but am always worried about just losing them over Winter

So Gwizzie apologies for planting seeds of doubt
    You are on the right track it seems
    DR
    NO worries Bud I took of the supers this morning and got about 15 frames with honey in them, BUT not all full about 3 out of the 15 were nearly full. I gave them a good shake and the bees fell off back into the hive and the honey that was not ready fell into the hive on the bees, and they seemed happy with that. All the hives were checked for weight and they did seem all to be ok for weight.

All frames drawn and fill with stores for the winter in the brood box just topping up with some sugar syrup before they wont take in any more, one of the hives the feeder was jam packed with bees trying to get to the syrup, but this is in a poly hive......

Hi gwizzie
    Fingers crossed for a reasonable Winter where the hives stay upright and we don't need a canoe to get to them
    What's your plans re varroa
    Are you going to treat with oxalic

Hi gwizzie
    Fingers crossed for a reasonable Winter where the hives stay upright and we don't need a canoe to get to them
    What's your plans re varroa
    Are you going to treat with oxalic
    I they should be ok were they are, well above flood zone lol. Not sure yet what i'm going to use as not seen any !!!! might go for the oxalic drizzle as want to get a Sublimox but its a bit much for 6 hives maybe next year if i go to my quota of 20 hives.

Some interesting observations with regard to water content of honey in this recent blog post from Erik Osterlund:

Cell size affects water content
    http://www.elgon.es/diary/?p=779

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    Some interesting observations with regard to water content of honey in this recent blog post from Erik Osterlund:

Cell size affects water content
    http://www.elgon.es/diary/?p=779
    Fascinating. Reasonable to deduce perhaps that in polyhives the bees might achieve lower water content more evenly across the frames?