Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Oxalic Acid Pan Evaporator 12 Volt

£22 here but I'm sure I got mine cheaper somewhere
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-5203-OR...item3f2276422c

Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    £22 here but I'm sure I got mine cheaper somewhere
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-5203-OR...item3f2276422c
    yep more like £25 if you add shipping as well
    Postage: US $16.51 (approx. £10.73) International Priority Shipping to United Kingdom | See details
    but more importantly you have to know what the temp is that the drinks heater reaches and then know what the temp is that OA turns into FA I think it is ?
    I don't have a way to measure the temp and don't know what the temp is before turning it into Formic acid vapor ?

You only need to know that oxalic acid sublimes at a temp lower than the temp it becomes formic acid( and carbon monoxide (I think)). It sublimes first. Only if under pressure would it still be there to become FA. You'll notice none of the commercially available glow plug the vaporisers have any temp control.
    Last edited by SDM; 15-09-2015 at 07:40 PM.

You only need to know that oxalic acid sublimes at a temp lower than the temp it becomes formic acid( and carbon monoxide (I think)). It sublimes first. Only if under pressure would it still be there to become FA. You'll notice none of the commercially available glow plug the vaporisers have any temp control.
    So if I understand this correctly, you're saying that OA will vaporize before it comes FA. Also it it would not be under pressure as it's not going to be trapped for long enough. Hummmm need to look into this a bit more and see if I can find out some facts?

The change in state of any material is affected by pressure and temperature (composition or purity) the temperature of the oxalic does not change when it changes state from solid to gas so as long as there is no increase in pressure, then the temp will not be enough to form any other compounds

Quote Originally Posted by nemphlar View Post
    The change in state of any material is affected by pressure and temperature (composition or purity) the temperature of the oxalic does not change when it changes state from solid to gas so as long as there is no increase in pressure, then the temp will not be enough to form any other compounds
    Exactly ! In an open container it will always sublime.
    You are worrying about nothing gwizzie.

Quote Originally Posted by nemphlar View Post
    Hi thanks, now I wish I stuck in at chemistry at school LOL...

Exactly ! In an open container it will always sublime.
    You are worrying about nothing gwizzie.
    Ok get that now but if i'm going to make it like the SUBLIMOX you plug the container with a top so you will just have a spout for the OA to get out from will this not put it under pressure ???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCOTT-resp...item280497433d
    something like this one
    best plan though is just stand upwind with long battery leads
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCOTT-Prof...item2a52d94c2e
    This is £10 and probably good enough for the job
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 17-09-2015 at 04:26 PM.

Fair point,I'm not recommending you do this, but mine usually sits around my neck just in case.
    Mind you, I'll probably be eligible for a "Darwin award" if they find my corpse that way.