Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Oxalic Acid Pan Evaporator 12 Volt

Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    With the £250 you would have left over, you could put one in every hive .
    I've not seen a Sublimox up close, but I doubt there is any way a heater and fan is £250 worth of anyone's money.
    I haven't either but not sure if there is a fan in it having looked at some of the videos (might be wrong) Humm just thought of someone I know who is very good at this sort of thing he is a tool maker to trade and has ALL the gear. I will have a word with him to see if he can make something for me as he keeps bees too........ I'll keep you posted....

One quick question the drinks heater how hot does it get, as it's not producing that other stuff ? that you can produce from oxalic acid ??? is it formic acid ? (sorry newbie)

i dont know what temp it could get to, but I've never understood what stops the OA subliming at the correct temp. Why would it still be there as the temp got higher ? That said , to avoid over heating I wait 10 secs after it starts smoking, then unplug it for a few secs before reattaching and letting it finish. It seems to be a non existent problem.

It seems to be a non existent problem.
    Yes, possibly cooked up by people trying to sell expensive OAV equipment.

Well my drinks warmer is ordered after seeing this video, just need to see my friend to see if he can make a cup for it with a spout and a lid.

I have looked at the SUBLIMOX - PROFESSIONAL APF and can see no evidence of a fan being used, I think that it is a buildup of pressure just like a kettle.
    55a8c4a19d582_Sublimoxdtail.jpg

Which would explain why they could have temp. Issue's if its under any pressure.
    I'm with the redneck on this(never thought I'd say that) anything more is over thinking it.
    I love techy kit for my hobbies but so many things in Beekeeping get massive price hikes for no reason . The one that annoys me most is the " polyhive repair" that everyone sells but with the picture removed(because its just polyfilla available at half the price elsewhere) sales tactics like that are a pet hate.
    Just think of all the sales of expensive Varroa treatments(not to mention the queen sales) at this time of year that won't happen when everyone realises they can treat 1000 hives for £15 and watch their bees coming and going like nothing has happened a minute later.
    Last edited by SDM; 07-09-2015 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post
    Well my drinks warmer is ordered after seeing this video, just need to see my friend to see if he can make a cup for it with a spout and a lid.

I have looked at the SUBLIMOX - PROFESSIONAL APF and can see no evidence of a fan being used, I think that it is a buildup of pressure just like a kettle.
    55a8c4a19d582_Sublimoxdtail.jpg
    I just assumed there must be a fan considering the size and cost of the unit. Be careful if you are adding a cap and spout, remember these heaters are only 200-250w. You either want something that does not conduct heat or use something like fire rope to insulate the cap from the heater bowl. If you add more metal to the bowl you will hugely increase the time it takes to start smoking(I tried with threaded plumbing fittings).
    Last edited by SDM; 07-09-2015 at 09:42 AM.

Blog Entries

The unit stays hot all the time, the acid goes into a heat resistant plastic lid sealed with o ring, unit is kept upside down, stick into a hive then turn it around, the acid falls onto the hot plate and instantly sublimes, the pressure pushes it down the tube into the hive - easy pezy

Thanks for all the comments guys, cant wait until mine arrives now and get my friend on the job to see what he comes up with if he has time!!!

The unit stays hot all the time,
    yes if you watch the videos that are out there you can see that they are upside down then flipped over to get the OA to fall onto the already hot plate.

I was thinking about getting the tablets of AO has anyone used them ? do they burn the same or take longer!

Ops almost forgot what is the best mask to get for doing this ?

3m 5203 mag, is the way to go.
    They're about £15 on ebay, although personally, I use a canary.
    Last edited by SDM; 15-09-2015 at 07:22 AM.

3m 5203 mag, is the way to go.
    They're about £15 on ebay, although personally, I use a canary.
    Thanks but there more like £30