Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: Oxalic Acid Pan Evaporator 12 Volt

Hi Philip
    Cant say for the action of dribbling they may well eat that
    but if you vaporise them there are minute particles of oxalic acid landing in the hive
    They land on the bees , the hive parts, and the varroa

If you collect mites which have fallen off and died then put them under a microscope you will see these tiny crystals on the hairs and carapace
    If you look at the varroa legs you will see great clumps of crystals on the ends on their feet
    After evaporation in Winter you still see this effect for up to 4 weeks after treatment

Bees can groom and they just brush the crystals from their hairy bodies they don't eat them (as far as I know)
    They might pick up more from frames and other bees but they are not harmed by them

Varroa can't groom effectively and when they do the crystals on their bodies just stick to their feet
    If they walk on the bees then crystals stick to their feet as well
    Apparently their mouth parts are also damaged but I didn't see that under my microscope examinations

I often see people suggesting things like 3 oxalic treatments 5 days apart in Summer etc
    I can't see the point in that, because a simple Api-life var biscuit takes minutes to put on, and is better suited to the time of year

I have both the Varrox and the Sublimox and, this Winter, I'm sure I will survive using the Varrox on a 12V battery with timer
    I'm less confident of seeing another birthday dragging 250 volt power around in the snow and mud to operate the Sublimox

Expect to see a Sublimox sold by Mrs DR on Ebay next Spring if I decide to chance it
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 04-11-2016 at 05:06 PM.

There's reference somewhere on the same pages from Randy Oliver that doses of 1.4g and 2.8g were indistinguishable in efficacy. Perhaps it's shown on the graph? With good distribution of vapour around the hive - as you'll be achieving - I'd opt for the lower doses unless you have evidence more is better. More important to ensure correctly repeated treatment to catch the little beggars when they emerge from sealed cells. The scoop that used to be supplied with the 500g tubs of OA from Thorne's was a convenient 1.6g which, if you're using Api-Bioxal with the included anti-caking agents and glucose (and have the time to clean your vaporiser afterwards ;-) ) is almost exactly 1.4g of OA. Convenient.

How much does your 12V battery weigh DR? I run my Sublimox off a portable 700W generator that weighs 8.5kg and runs for long enough to treat dozens of colonies (which, if Mrs. FS is reading this, I'll vehemently deny).
    Last edited by fatshark; 05-11-2016 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Correcting blousy spelling

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    How much does your 12V battery weigh DR? I run my Sublimox off a portable 700W generator that weighs 8.5kg and runs for long enough to treat dozens of colonies (which, if Mrs. FS is reading this, I'll vehemently deny).
    Lol !
    That's lightweight hope it's waterproof as well

Seriously though
    5 deaths from stings 172 from electrocution per year
    That's why all on site professional tools are 110V or cordless
    250V outside in our Winter climate needs care

Winter climate? Fife? Get away! In contrast, the Angus hills visible from the North Fife Hills this morning are covered in snow (and looked lovely).

Bees properly clustered today and it's finally cool enough to start preparing some soft set honey.

PS Don't worry, I take care. My flip flops have thick rubber soles ...
    Last edited by fatshark; 05-11-2016 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Added link to panorama

If you get a chance to collect some dead varroa after treatment FS stick them under your microscope
    I haven't done it in recent years
    At the time I didn't realise I could just hold the lense of a compact camera on microscope eyepiece and take a photo

Blog Entries

electrocution - Ive been giving that some thought as well. I have made sure that my clone is well earthed. At home this is ok as the cable is connected by extention lead to the domestic mains so earthed and has that trip switch thingy. When I get around to going to going out into the bush with a portable machine (yet to be selected) I was planning on sinking a 4 foot earth rod at the apairy sites and making sure this is connected to the system. You can get them in screwfix for a few quid.
    Electricity is dangerous stuff, i had a friend who tinkered with solar panels, batteries and feeding juice back into the grid using home made PIC devices, it just took one mistake.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    If you get a chance to collect some dead varroa after treatment FS stick them under your microscope
    I haven't done it in recent years
    At the time I didn't realise I could just hold the lense of a compact camera on microscope eyepiece and take a photo
    Just had a look - a week since 3rd OA treatment and a significantly reduced mite fall, had a quick look under the mic, could not see any crystals on the mites but then after 7 days maybe that would be expected, also seen male mites and many white immature mites probably due to bees uncapping remaing drone bood but very little pupal brood debris (although still a few drones about). Think I'll give this box another final dose later today. outside temp in the shade 1 meter above ground is 7.8C (using a Hanna K thermocouple thermometer HI9043) and bees are flying !!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post

Whatever happened to the SBA's discussions with the VMD about Api-Bioxal?
    One thing that came of that was the finding that the teleconference facilities on offer at the VMD weren't good enough to sustain a meeting with about 5 folk dialling in from across the UK. The bullish attitude to forcing full compliance on the use of oxalic acid was not coming from the VMD but the strongest voice in that direction was that representing an organisation purporting to represent 'British' beekeepers. I was disappointed by that. Our loyalties should not be to companies that have paid out to get their product registered in the UK. My impression of the VMD activities were that they had been pragmatic and helpful (to the beekeeping community) with their approach to OA up to that point.

As far as the difficulties of using Apibioxal in sublimators, someone at some time (might have been in advance of the annual VMD bee meeting) pointed out that you can line your sublimator with foil and all will be well. The question on the concentration of the trickling solution (when made up according to the instructions) being higher than the usual method had been addressed by a bee inspector trying it and finding it to be fine. Other than that, the rules are the rules.

Oddly, this year I really am not going to use oxalic acid. My (legally obtained with a veterinary prescription) Polish Biowar went in late and I don't think any kind of oxalic acid treatment will be worthwhile. Next year I'll probably be using Apitraz 500 from the same supplier.
    Last edited by gavin; 07-11-2016 at 01:25 PM.

Blog Entries

one point - Lining sublimators with foil sounds like a good idea, but you will get a reduced heating effect leading to reduced vaporization rate, better just to wash or scrape it out after use. Also, if the linning is not a perfect fit you might find it hard to remove the foil due to spillage and end up with a real mess. just my opinion.