Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Oxalic Acid Pan Evaporator 12 Volt

Quote Originally Posted by madasafish View Post
    Beekeeping forum have a long recent debate on that... http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=35764
    Thanks madasafish. Fractious and interesting! Might buy the recommended Suaoki kit for next winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Atchley View Post
    Thanks madasafish. Fractious and interesting! Might buy the recommended Suaoki kit for next winter.
    Hi Kate
    there's a lot of googling going on over there and lots of "expert" opinions
    The battery I use is fairly easy to carry it has a handle and a built in charge indicator
    Can't speak for other vaporisers but the varrox uses 12A the first start up stone cold
    Every subsequent use when its warm it will be just under 9A I've measured it

If you can time 2.5 mins accurately that's plenty time for vaporising
    Extra time just flattens the battery quicker so that's a good reason to avoid it
    If you stick a varrox in water the tray/cup bit falls out and you waste battery power reheating it

Most people settle for a car battery which they buy or acquire
    An AGM glass mat deep discharge one will survive longer
    reduced life is relative so instead of surviving 500 recharges it might be 250
    That could be 10 recharges a year for 25 years

My standard batteries are 44Ah and were bought in 2011 and work just as well now as then

I did 13 hives this afternoon with one of them, and it would have done loads more if it hadn't got dark at 4pm

Some theoreticians would have you believe nothing short of a battery from a Mars lander will do

Frankly google is just a menace sometimes

You do need a fair size in Ampere Hours so a pokey little battery just won't do the job
    The duty cycle is about 2.5 mins on then 10 mins or longer off (not continuous )
    Google it if you don't want to take my word for it Lol!
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 17-01-2016 at 02:15 PM. Reason: . not ; another typo

This is my first application of oxalic using sublimation. It's so simple. And non messy. And very cheap.

What more can any Scot want?

I agree madasafish

Here's a couple of very bad videos on varrox (links to youtube)
    You will need to be very bored to enjoy these
    Use the fast forward button liberally as I haven't made any effort to edit them
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IngXoRNHeUM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DX5JMAgCTY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtT7HoD6Iq0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j0I3SnQAb4
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 18-01-2016 at 01:06 AM.

I haven't had much luck trying to use varrox on Paynes Nucs
    Tried two (of my own) different but equally useless designs which involved too much disturbance
    In the end I have just used the trickle treatment for them
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 18-01-2016 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Lad View Post
    This is the vapouriser I built three years ago, I was given the glow plug by a local garage making the total cost £4.60 it works perfectly.

http://www.digitaldodo.com/oxalic-acid-vaporiser-plans/
    Hi Lancs Lad
    Being a twit I have only just looked at your plans
    What a great build
    Very neat and by careful design its more energy efficient
    5A and 2min is very good
    How many hives did the motorbike battery do ?

By the by removing the entrance block is the same with a varrox
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 18-01-2016 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    I haven't had much luck trying to use varrox on Paynes Nucs .... In the end I have just used the trickle treatment for them
    Back on page 8, 16 December I posted pics of two boards I made to use with my Ukrainian vaporiser, beneath the mesh floors of Swingy hives and Paynes nucs. They seemed to work okay though I haven't checked whether most of the crystals ended up chilled out on the mesh. They were very easy to make and use.

Drone Ranger thanks for all you've shared. I''m converted to sublimation where possible and will be more savvy about battery use next year. I wasn't disconnecting the battery until all the crystals were gone but realise I can disconnect sooner and let the heat do the rest. Even so, this Ukrainian kit is slower than Varrox (and they've confirmed that) so after the first treatment, from cold, I reckon it needs at least 3 minutes of power, then another 3 minutes or so to allow the vapour to rise and circulate. That's on single brood boxes. Double brood presumably need a bit longer with the extra OA crystals.

Picture of my crude but effective vapouriser . Total Cost £2.75 (glowplug ebay)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use a "VARTA 12v 12ah" motorcycle battery which only measures 6in x 6in x 4in and is quite light in weight compared to a car battery. This is 100 amp capacity. I can treat at least 10 hives providing I fully charge it at the beginning of a session.

Blog Entries

trickle all the way, partly because i hate wearing a gasmask, and my kids like to come to the bees, I dont want to get gasmasks for them either.
    also it doesnt look good to the public, beekeepers going at their bees like that and arguing we are trustees of nature - just doesnt look good.