Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Oxalic Acid Pan Evaporator 12 Volt

Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post
    Whats up with the camera ? not suffering from a photovoroa attack is it
    The lense jammed and I dismantled it several times
    The replacement isn't as good
    It doesn't have a lense trundling in and out though
    I can't get a decent photo in poor light and I can't get the varrox on the go for rain
    The varrox costs about £100 but lasts donkeys years
    Polyhives melt though so that needs thinking about

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    The lense jammed and I dismantled it several times
    The replacement isn't as good
    It doesn't have a lense trundling in and out though
    I can't get a decent photo in poor light and I can't get the varrox on the go for rain
    The varrox costs about £100 but lasts donkeys years

Hope you get it fixed soon m8
    I have now a varrox for OA and have checked the clearance in the paradise hives and there is plenty of room to put in the front. Im going to build a tray that will fit all hives that covers the hive entrance and protects the hive when being removed (so no melting), I'll keep you posted on the development when I get it made .

Default 12 volt drink heater

Hiya, have looked through the thread and am trying to find a drinks heater that is flat. All the ones I have found are at 90°. Do I just get one of those and try to bend it or does anyone have an eBay link to a flat heater.

Cheers

https://youtu.be/ggJyEKmlvJQ
    If you are a fan of long boring video with poor sound etc then check this out
    All done in Shakycam (pat pending)
    Its the controller for the varrox I have been doing, when I should be helping with hive monitoring stuff

I will put the DIY instructions somewhere handy, (PCB, Fritzing files, AT85 Sketch , parts list , wiring etc,) and link them here ASAP
    )
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 05-01-2016 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Haven't enough time for making these

Somebody elsewhere pointed out this is putting a lot of heat into the hive

The timings are pretty much those recommended by varrox
    But for completeness I will state the obvious
    You can walk in and get the gear as soon as you get a green light
    I wouldn't recommend that without protective gear though
    Which defeats the purpose of automating it

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post

k
    People keep saying that.
    Since you're aiming for the middle of the hive, it sits on the mesh floor.
    All mine are poly, I've not bad any problems with melting.

Sorry SDM
    Yes I Am sure you are right
    I don't have any poly hives just the Payne's nucs
    They are easily melted though (by the hot glue gun )

After several sessions using my eBay vaporiser (from Maks11000, Ukraine) and having read the user instructions for Varrox, I asked some questions of him. He answered:

1. "It is not waterproof" (so don't dunk it in water after each treatment as recommended for Varrrox)

2. "Time evaporation acid really need a little more. This allows the use of electric power more evenly and much longer." (It takes a little longer to vaporise the crystals than suggested by Varrox so I allow an extra minute attached to the battery with the same time afterwards.)

3. "15 - 25 hives." (The number of hives he suggests can be treated with one fully-charged battery.)

I'm still wondering if there is not a lighter-weight battery we could use? Having to lug a car battery around spoils the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Atchley View Post
    After several sessions using my eBay vaporiser (from Maks11000, Ukraine) and having read the user instructions for Varrox, I asked some questions of him. He answered:

1. "It is not waterproof" (so don't dunk it in water after each treatment as recommended for Varrrox)

2. "Time evaporation acid really need a little more. This allows the use of electric power more evenly and much longer." (It takes a little longer to vaporise the crystals than suggested by Varrox so I allow an extra minute attached to the battery with the same time afterwards.)

3. "15 - 25 hives." (The number of hives he suggests can be treated with one fully-charged battery.)

I'm still wondering if there is not a lighter-weight battery we could use? Having to lug a car battery around spoils the fun!
    Beekeeping forum have a long recent debate on that... http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=35764

This is the vapouriser I built three years ago, I was given the glow plug by a local garage making the total cost £4.60 it works perfectly.

http://www.digitaldodo.com/oxalic-acid-vaporiser-plans/