Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Oxalic Acid Pan Evaporator 12 Volt

The Sublimox is a lovely piece of kit but it - and the genny - are certainly heavier than a Trickle2 dispenser and a tepid flask of made up OA. However, if your back can't cope with midwinter treatments how are you going to cope with midsummer inspections and shifting 5 bloated supers* off each brood box?

* what? Isn't that about average here?

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    The Sublimox is a lovely piece of kit but it - and the genny - are certainly heavier than a Trickle2 dispenser and a tepid flask of made up OA. However, if your back can't cope with midwinter treatments how are you going to cope with midsummer inspections and shifting 5 bloated supers* off each brood box?

* what? Isn't that about average here?
    Hi yep it is lighter but was not thinking of using a genny as there HEAVY was going to use my car and a inverter a lot lighter... As for my back i managed the inspection before the winter on all my hives no problem and lifting heavy loads is not any problem....
    My problem with my back is that if i'm hunched over the hive for any time my back goes into a spasm that's all.

I have been speaking to a good friend today about the Sublimox and I think he is going to adapt my Oxalic Acid Pan Evaporator 12 Volt to look like the Sublimox (well that's the theory) as he is a tool maker and has all the gear to make it just got the lid to work out yet as what to use ? as I think the box of electronics in the Sublimox is just an inverter to reduce to 12v ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Graham you are nuts
    But in a good way

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk
    Thanks BUD

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Hard to work out whether you are kidding or not. I often deliver the trickling as a squirt from standing upright (depending on hive stand height). Much kinder on the back compared to lugging car batteries and whatnot then bending down to shove stuff in the entrance of hives and holding it there awhile.

Where would the packages be from if you went down that route?
    Yep you're right there Gav!!! never thought of that Gav as its my 1st year doing this but if I need to do it again I will keep that in mind... Not intending to bend down and hold it in place as it should stay on place if you have a hive entrance made for it...

As for the bees i'm thinking of carnies this time and a m8 going to get them for me I think

Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post
    As for my back i managed the inspection before the winter on all my hives no problem and lifting heavy loads is not any problem....
    My problem with my back is that if i'm hunched over the hive for any time my back goes into a spasm that's all.
    Sounds like you're an ideal candidate for throwing the stands away and kneeling down to inspect. I did just that when I was suffering from a back injury. My back's fine now but with the exception of a flood prone apiary I wouldn't dream of going back to stand up beekeeping.

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    Sounds like you're an ideal candidate for throwing the stands away and kneeling down to inspect. I did just that when I was suffering from a back injury. My back's fine now but with the exception of a flood prone apiary I wouldn't dream of going back to stand up beekeeping.
    Hi thanks for the comment! I am ok when standing straight up that's why inspecting is no problem as the frames are at eye level when out of the hive. Don't think there is any fear of my apiary flooding thank god..

I had a op on my back 22 years ago and this was the only side affect I got from it is I can't bend over for any length of time.

My tip is avoid doing what I did a few years ago
    Lifted top brood box off and instead of stepping to the side and putting it on spare stand I just turned my upper body and put the box on the stand
    Result a miserable rest of the season with constant back pain

If only I had thought of turning the sympathy into a Sublimox
    Where are my brains (don't answer that)
    I have been running some tests on the varrox so I will post something about that when I get the camera on the go again

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Whats up with the camera ? not suffering from a photovoroa attack is it

IMG_0497.jpgIMG_0496.jpgIMG_0493.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post
    as I think the box of electronics in the Sublimox is just an inverter to reduce to 12v ?
    The box containing the electronics is quite complex, printed circuit and attachments specially made by the company, expensive, as i found out, and the heat band around the pot which takes the acid is 240 volt, i also tried an inverter, gave up on that.
    Last edited by Pete L; 28-12-2015 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete L View Post
    The box containing the electronics is quite complex, printed circuit and attachments specially made by the company, expensive, as i found out, and the heat band around the pot which takes the acid is 240 volt, i also tried an inverter, gave up on that.
    Hi thanks for your input well that's out of the window the inverter... not many power points in the woods. So think i'm going to have to stick with the 12v Oxalic Acid Pan Evaporator and see if my m8 can adapt it for me by making a new pan and spout