Thread: Oxalic Acid Pan Evaporator 12 Volt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The lightest, cheapest (and effective) home-made job I have seen was a beer bottle top soldered onto a strip of copper piping heated by a salvaged car cigarette heater/lighter, powered by a 12v car battery.

£3.99 12v drinks heater with a copper end cap tapped through the coils(they spread nicely to fit). It cools enough between hives to reload it straight away. This is its 3rd winter and I use it on any swarms taken, so its holding up well.IMG_20150718_200002_zpssayxlkmn.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    £3.99 12v drinks heater with a copper end cap tapped through the coils(they spread nicely to fit). It cools enough between hives to reload it straight away. This is its 3rd winter and I use it on any swarms taken, so its holding up well.IMG_20150718_200002_zpssayxlkmn.jpg
    Thanks SDM, just wondering if it could be made into one of these http://www.icko-apiculture.com/en/sublimox.html

With the £250 you would have left over, you could put one in every hive .
    I've not seen a Sublimox up close, but I doubt there is any way a heater and fan is £250 worth of anyone's money.

With the £250 you would have left over, you could put one in every hive .
    I've not seen a Sublimox up close, but I doubt there is any way a heater and fan is £250 worth of anyone's money.
    I haven't either but not sure if there is a fan in it having looked at some of the videos (might be wrong) Humm just thought of someone I know who is very good at this sort of thing he is a tool maker to trade and has ALL the gear. I will have a word with him to see if he can make something for me as he keeps bees too........ I'll keep you posted....

One quick question the drinks heater how hot does it get, as it's not producing that other stuff ? that you can produce from oxalic acid ??? is it formic acid ? (sorry newbie)

i dont know what temp it could get to, but I've never understood what stops the OA subliming at the correct temp. Why would it still be there as the temp got higher ? That said , to avoid over heating I wait 10 secs after it starts smoking, then unplug it for a few secs before reattaching and letting it finish. It seems to be a non existent problem.

It seems to be a non existent problem.
    Yes, possibly cooked up by people trying to sell expensive OAV equipment.