Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wooden or Poly hives ?

I agree I would not mod the poly hives. I have used poly hives for more than 10 years and never had any issues with condensation or dampness inside the hive
    I also have a number of wooden hives and the main difference I have noticed is the temperature inside the poly hive must be more constant as the brood nest can sometimes be on the outside frames where as the wooden hives the nest is in the middle of the box

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I agree I would not mod the poly hives. I have used poly hives for more than 10 years and never had any issues with condensation or dampness inside the hive
    I also have a number of wooden hives and the main difference I have noticed is the temperature inside the poly hive must be more constant as the brood nest can sometimes be on the outside frames where as the wooden hives the nest is in the middle of the box

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hi Jimbo, thanks for your reply and advise that I will take on board, I have decided to leave them alone . I have noticed this as well that the poly hives brood box is full end to end were as the wooden are NOT! that's why I have decided to go ALL poly as easier and lighter to work with... (two more on order today)

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post
    ... it's just drilling a hole through the side wall ...
    ... I have decided to leave them alone ...
    That's what I feared, Gwizzie, and I'm glad Greengumbo and Jimbo have dissuaded you.

A hole in the top will just create draughts.

Condensation forms on the coldest surfaces, so I try to keep the area above the crown board the warmest. I use extra insulation (even in poly hives) above the crown board (a plastic sheet in MB hives) inside an eke (a shallow). I've never seen dripping on the bees.
    Kitta

Hi Thanks for the comment, humm think I will take on board what you're saying and wait to see how I get on with them, as you have said there designed by real experts. I do like these hives mine are national and thank you for your kind words about the videos just used my Iphone on that one but others are filmed with a GoPro 4 silver great bit of kit.

The reason I film everything is that I can review the footage again and again and again were as my memory isn't what it used to be and I find that this helps also I can use it to refer back to if needed.

I have areas up here that i have secured for next year for the heather both bell and ling but not sure if one super would be enough and if not how would you know that it needed more if you dont visit ?? just asking....
    I'd be delighted this summer if I needed a few extra supers ! I Have given them two boxes. A full depth and a super. If they fill them I will be surprised ! I've a beefarmer pal who is out there a lot visiting his hives so he usually gives me the heads up if anything is happening in the area.

By drilling hiles in polyboxes, you lose the advantages of having poly. Why have a well-insulated house and then leave the loft hatch open?

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    Condensation forms on the coldest surfaces, so I try to keep the area above the crown board the warmest. I use extra insulation (even in poly hives) above the crown board (a plastic sheet in MB hives) inside an eke (a shallow). I've never seen dripping on the bees.
    Kitta
    I've found the same. I use woollen blankets, tucked carefully down onto the whole surface of the crownboard. Might get a lot of condensation beyond the dummy board, and a little in the corners, but none above the cluster. Gives a really interesting picture of how they keep the space warm. I'm also very quick to put the covers back on a cold day, because condensation can start forming underneath within a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    By drilling hiles in polyboxes, you lose the advantages of having poly. Why have a well-insulated house and then leave the loft hatch open?
    Yes I get you point but you would have windows in it thats why IM NOT going to be doing it....

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    I'd be delighted this summer if I needed a few extra supers ! I Have given them two boxes. A full depth and a super. If they fill them I will be surprised ! I've a beefarmer pal who is out there a lot visiting his hives so he usually gives me the heads up if anything is happening in the area.
    Hi Just checked them today and hive 1 is just starting to draw a few out. hive 2 has 5 frames full of honey. hive 3 has every frame drawn out and filling with honey. hive 4 has every frame drawn out and filling with honey.
    So if this weather keeps up I might have a teaspoon party

I might have a teaspoon party
    Hooray!

Finally made some open mesh floors to fit the poly hives, the up side to gales and non stop rain

image.jpg