Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wooden or Poly hives ?

Getting ready for the arrival of new bees coming soon BUT do you think the wife will notice these in the spare room ??

IMG_0377.jpg

and there are another 3 just painted behind these

gwizzie. With some 25 years of poly experience, as standard I would set up the Heather apiary with two supers on. I would pile supers on site so if a colony needed more space I had it to hand.

When I bought a couple of Glens from a very experienced heather hand he told me to be sure and keep the quilts dry, and there turned out to be sacking over the super, these were on brood and a half by the way so 15 nat brood frames and 15 super frames, then the sacking and on top of that literally a couple of quilts so keeping the bees cosy is nothing new, just achieved in a simpler way by poly.

PH
    Last edited by Poly Hive; 19-03-2016 at 06:47 PM.

I have 6 wooden and 1 poly lang in use. I use hive cosies made out of celotex on the wooden ones - they are light and include an integral roof and lift off in one piece. I expect teh insulation is at least as good as any polyhive - 50mm side walls and 100mm plus on the roof.

NO condensation at all on hive crownboards.. even in frosty days. . I'd rather have all poly but my one poly is MB (a prize) and would rather have swienty...

All my insulation is bought cheap (gumtree and ebay) and all my wooden hives self made so cheap...I am an Aberdonian by adoption.....