Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beehive construction

Blog Entries

Swienty poly broods from C Wynne Jone

They are listed as £20.50 , not sure if they are compatible with national wooden equipment jon will know ?

Blog Entries

The ones I got were the old style swienty. I think they are sold out now. They are 460 X 460 mm so are compatible with wooden gear. There are no groves or slots on the base like some poly stuff. They hold 10 frames rather than 11. I have 2 of the new ones as well I bought at Gormanston last year for about 25 Euro each. Also a good box to work with. I painted mine with Cuprinol garden shades.

Paynes nucs and extension

nucs new apiary3.jpg poly-nuc-extension.jpg poly-nucs-painted2.jpg

These are the old style Swienty

marshall apiary-23-5-15.jpg
    Last edited by Jon; 24-08-2015 at 01:56 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm using the old style Swienty at the association's bees and new style with my own. I have to say that I struggled manfully on with the old style, telling myself this had to be good kit, until I tried the new. I now detest the old ones! Have to be really careful dropping frame lugs, hard to pick them up off the frame rests when propolised, generally a pain. The new ones with their rail to support the frame lugs are great.

I managed to steal mine at £10 each, but they were out of spec needing trimmed to get the frames to fit properly. A two-minute job with a hot wire run from a car battery charger. Then the usual varnishing and painting. I think I bought all 120 remaining cheap new-style brood boxes.

Yes, this belongs in the polyhive thread. Will shift it later.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    I'm using the old style Swienty at the association's bees and new style with my own. I have to say that I struggled manfully on with the old style, telling myself this had to be good kit, until I tried the new. I now detest the old ones! Have to be really careful dropping frame lugs, hard to pick them up off the frame rests when propolised, generally a pain. The new ones with their rail to support the frame lugs are great.

I always feel a bit wary if polystyrene hive bits, Apideas don't really last that long and are stored indoors during the winter, would be a bit worried about rats and mice chewing through the in winter time as I get rats even chewing around the wooden entrances of my out apairy hives even though they are on stands almost 2 foot high. Does Not take then long to eat through the soft cedar conpared to harder deal !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by busybeephilip View Post
    Apideas don't really last that long
    They do if you look after them. I am still using the first ones I bought 6 or 7 years ago.
    Even if they averaged 5 years life that should produce 10-12 queens at £35 each for an initial outlay of about £15.

Rats and mice are the problem so you have to be careful about winter storage.

Just a couple of examples
    I am not recommending them just that they exist
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005...TFL&ref=plSrch
    http://www.thorne.co.uk/hives-and-be...roduct_id=4649
    http://www.solwaybeesupplies.co.uk/b...parts-91-c.asp
    http://www.solwaybeesupplies.co.uk/p...ion-1615-p.asp

I would have a hunt around and then ask what folk think on one of the forums

Blog Entries

If you google or utube making a brood box there are some good videos on there most are american. i was wondering how easy it would be to convert a Nuc to an observation hive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    They do if you look after them. I am still using the first ones I bought 6 or 7 years ago.
    Even if they averaged 5 years life that should produce 10-12 queens at £35 each for an initial outlay of about £15.

Rats and mice are the problem so you have to be careful about winter storage.
    Our Association apideas - used every year - were 16 years old when I started in 2010..

I think I bought all 120 remaining cheap new-style brood .[/QUOTE]

Going full time Gavin?

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    ... The new ones with their rail to support the frame lugs are great. ...
    Gavin, don't you find that the frame lugs get propolised to the box above causing havoc when trying to lift a box? I now trim the lug rails by 2mm, and now I'm happy. I mentioned this on the Poly Hive Musings thread (post 350).

Kitta