Thread: wasp alert

Default wasp alert

A lot of wasps scouting about just now-I use spare open mesh flooring cut up to reduce hive openings at this time of year and noticed that a number of wasps (younger slimmer ones!) happily squeeze through the mesh holes and go straight into hive-the number of wasps I see lurking beneath the ofmf floors makes me suspect they gain entrance that way too-a bit of a surprise

I have seen more around lately they are a pain

I always put my wasp traps at the back of the hive floor. I don't think they get in that way but they do try to find a way in the back or under.
    Mince meat and magners cider, they can't resist it.

Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    I always put my wasp traps at the back of the hive floor. I don't think they get in that way but they do try to find a way in the back or under.
    Mince meat and magners cider, they can't resist it.
    I used to put wasp traps in the apiary. Don't know why. I suppose it was just the way I'd always done things. Then, LittleJohn posted here with the advice to put the traps anywhere apart from near the hives (actually, he was somewhat more technical in his suggestions than that). One of the best changes of practice I've ever made. I'm no longer encouraging the local wasp population into my apiary.

edit: back to the op. I have noticed that a couple of our hives which do have mesh floors definitely attract more attention than the majority which are on solid bottoms. They'll be replaced by next spring.
    Last edited by prakel; 15-08-2015 at 06:40 AM.

I've lost a couple of mini-nucs to wasps I've removed the nucs and placed traps instead with the idea that the wasps will continue to go to the same location for food. It's worked. I have a few like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images