Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apiary Vicinity mating again

Blog Entries

Default Apiary Vicinity mating again

I saw a perfect example of this today in my back garden where I have about 40 Apideas, most of them with virgins at the moment.
    About 4.30 I noticed the mating swarm in the air and it settled in a Rowan tree in my next door neighbour's garden just over the fence.
    This is part of the process of AVM, the bees circle in the air with a load of drones present then settle around the queen the same way they do with a swarm.
    I have not worked out what role this plays in the process but I have seen it dozens of times now.
    I checked through the apideas and found the one which was depleted and queenless and kept an eye on it.
    About 6pm the cluster broke and the bees rose in the air and moved to the entrance of the Apidea and started fanning.
    I watched it carefully from about 6 feet away and saw the queen land on the front and go in.

There was speculation in earlier discussions as to whether this behaviour was mating or absconding so I think that is settled as bees do not abscond only to change their mind a couple of hours later.
    The other thing is that the bees return before the queen, who is almost the last bee to return, so this behaviour must be driven by the workers rather than the queen.
    That queen will be laying in 2-3 days when I check.

Hopefully she mated ok as she emerged on 14th July so must be near her sell by date.
    Last edited by Jon; 12-08-2015 at 06:32 PM.

Jon would that queen have the mating sign?

Blog Entries

Not when she went into the apidea but she had been in a cluster of bees for 90 minutes.

Perhaps it's some of her pheromones kick starting ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Not when she went into the apidea but she had been in a cluster of bees for 90 minutes.
    Do you feel that the 'swarm' picks up sufficient drones while in the air and then they mate while the cluster has settled? Or, does the mating take place on the wing prior to the cluster settling. Any thoughts on the reason for clustering so long?

Blog Entries

I think they mate in the air on the wing. The purpose of the little cluster is a mystery to me but it must have some function in the mating process as it happens so often.

Blog Entries

I think they mate in the air on the wing. The purpose of the little cluster is a mystery to me but it must have some function in the mating process as it happens so often.
    Voyeur bees.

I think they mate in the air on the wing.
    What's the average time that they're in the air?

Blog Entries

about 15 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Voyeur bees.
    bee dogging ?