Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Starvation alert

Quote Originally Posted by Feckless Drone View Post
    That's useful C4U, thanks - NOTHING FOR YOU TO SEE UP THE ANGUS GLENS - but I'm sure you've mapped out the best spots anyway! I was walking over patches low down and south facing. Hopefully up higher there will be flowers ready for them. Little bit of bell and that well past. The hives are poly - so OK, I'll put off and feed a bit later than I normally do.
    lol.....yes I did formerly go up into Prosen and Clova. Lot more in side glens off Glenisla. It got a bit isolated from our core areas, the crops were modest and erratic, and some of those I had to negotiate with were a bit awkward. It was a bit of a PITA trying to deal with a large number of disparate landowners and tenants when in our current main areas (Deeside, Badenoch, and Amulree) we deal with relatively few people, getting up to 20 sites from a single annual call. It just ended up too 'out on a limb' for us, though we miss the convenience of them as they were a good 'bale out' destination if there were problems or we needed to fit in a few evening shifts. Without doubt the most productive area in the Angus glens we used (never went to Glenesk which is the daddy of them all. Bert Mason, and now his grandson, have that bit of prime country.) was Clova, from Glenarm near Gella Bridge up to a mile or so above Wheen. Historically there was a fabulous Bell area on the west side of the glen too but long since gone under trees.

From what Gavin says maybe you are the one who is in at Buckhood/Glencally.........whisper it, but you got the better of the deal lol. Lot of Bell patches especially on the west facing hill approaching there from the south. These should indeed be well brown by now.

For those of you with nucs you might be ignoring while your bees are on the heather.

Out feeding again today. Nucs on site that I had to remove bars of honey from last year at this time to give the queen space, this year are very light. These are all sites with lots and lots of balsam. Another week like this and some would have been in trouble. The little trickle feed has been a lifeline to them, and rather than getting plugged like last year (when the trickle feed was not required at this time) this year it is vital, but one upside is lots more space for brood. Finding many of the Paynes boxes with 5 and 6 bars with brood. Should be a great overwintering for those. But watch they have enough food.

Blog Entries

FD is higher up the glen than that, but with just a few hives no-one wants to be too explicit about where they are sitting. One quick visit by the unscrupulous and you are wiped out.

Yes, feeding nucs myself again. Hoping that in a few days the weather will turn the tap back on.