Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Paradise beebox hive

Is that your website Fatshark? It's one I've visited a fair few times!

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Ah, Fatshark - I've long suspected you're the author of that excellent site (The Apiarist) and now I know for sure!
    Kitta

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Hi Fs, thanks AGAIN for the link very helpful.

Blog Entries

Thats an interesting looking vaporizor, can you tell us more about it?

A bit frantically busy at the moment (moving house) … it's a Sublimox. Recommended to me by a couple of trusted commercials as being the dogs bits. Purchased from Icko. Blisteringly fast to treat (30-45s/colony) and very well tolerated by the bees. Unlike the Varrox-type it 'blows' the OA forcefully through the hive - top, bottom, side … all it needs is a 6-8mm hole into the box. I've not measured efficacy, but have no reason not to think it's at least as good as any other. I've only been using it a few months. There was a discussion on the the BKF with contributors who have much more experience, including a schedule to use it with sealed brood present from Hivemaker.

I use the langstroth bee box it will be quicker to list the things I like about them rather than the things i dont. so Here goes

1 The density of the poly
    2 The thickness of the walls
    3 The thickness of the roof
    4 The poly
    I am currently changing back to nationals and have a couple of swienty poly hives and think they are great. As for the crown board I use rubble sacks.

Quote Originally Posted by robin118 View Post
    I use the langstroth bee box it will be quicker to list the things I like about them rather than the things i dont. so Here goes

1 The density of the poly
    2 The thickness of the walls
    3 The thickness of the roof
    4 The poly
    I am currently changing back to nationals and have a couple of swienty poly hives and think they are great. As for the crown board I use rubble sacks.
    Hi Robin thanks for your comments,
    I have 2 and one more on the way to me today. I am using nationals and I really like them so far, the only issue I have had with them so far is the full size feeder in that the inside walls were very slippy after I had painted them but I know have rectified this now I think by repainting the slope and adding sand and then repainting it again.

I've got a Paynes National too. I echo the comments made. Poly too soft; bees have chewed though it in a couple of places and if you try to lift/lever off two heavy supers that are stuck down, the hive tool just digs in. I dropped an extracted super and it broke in two. Bee spaces are good though. Takes castellations for the supers which the MB/Paradise hive doesn't. The hand-holds are rubbish, so it's difficult to lift 2 supers off at once. The parts do mix well enough with wooden nationals, but they are big so storage is a pain when not used. Always squash bees when putting boxes back together. I am wondering about retiring my one and perhaps selling it. Bees do well in it but it's an odd-ball hive for me. A wooden national is just more enjoyable to use and a cedar one never needs painting.

Thanks for the reference to my hack-about of the Paynes 6 frame to 8 frame box. (Yours are painted better!).

Blog Entries

it's a Sublimox. Recommended to me by a couple of trusted commercials as being the dogs bits. Purchased from Icko. Blisteringly fast to treat (30-45s/colony) and very well tolerated by the bees. Unlike the Varrox-type it 'blows' the OA forcefully through the hive - top, bottom, side … all it needs is a 6-8mm hole into the box.
    Looks like it does the job ok but an expensive wee toy for what it is, I'm sure the price will come down, I think I'll try glowplug and Alu block for now .