Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Paradise beebox hive

Smith Hive is the one Lol !

I put short lug smith frames in Paynes poly nucs no worries but when I use the full length national lugs I have to watch who is wandering around underneath.
    As for the thin plastic crown board, putting that on with one hand should be an Olympic sport

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Perhaps that what one should do with the MB Nationals: use Smith frames instead.
    Kitta

Ps: sorry DR, I should have said, 'Excellent idea' - because that is what you're suggesting! Kitta
    Last edited by Mellifera Crofter; 15-07-2015 at 09:55 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    As for the thin plastic crown board, putting that on with one hand should be an Olympic sport
    In a box boiling with bees, using that flapping motion to persuade bees in the way to run away without letting any more under ....

Hum I feel that there is a lot of I don't like because, in this thread. (I do appreciate everyone's comments) as far as I can see there is no perfect hive as someone does not like a hive some reason or another, but again that's life in general (I don't like the TAX man) but I have to pay him

I have chosen these hives as I like them so far, I know that I am new to this and will prob learn the hard way or not ?

Just because it's not interchangable with other hive does not mean that I can't use them effectively, or does it ? (as I only have 2 other wooden hives) so it not something that I will lose any sleep over.

The fact is I have NOT come across frames that I have to push in YET apart from yesterday !!!! (and that was because there was TOO big a gap between the frame ends and the side's of the nuke box)

ALL my other frames fit ok NO jamming or tight fit. (I maybe lucky) who knows.
    Last edited by gwizzie; 15-07-2015 at 09:56 AM. Reason: spelling

That's probably worth a try Kitta

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    In a box boiling with bees, using that flapping motion to persuade bees in the way to run away without letting any more under ....
    It always seems to bend and fall in at one edge or something
    Weather not good for beekeeping at the moment Gavin especially the queen rearing
    Sun on way this afternoon though

Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post
    Hum I feel that there is a lot of I don't like because, in this thread..
    Some bees like a bit more propolis and that means when things are tight it becomes very hard to get them out
    Many are even tempered till you bump or spring something with the hive tool so you don't want things tight
    As boxes get older the general build up makes things worse

gwizzie I suppose a lot depends on the bees in the box as well as the box itself

One issue though is that we tend to stick with what we start with
    In my case Smith Hives
    That's not too much of a restriction but if you say choose Langstroth or something they will be great until you need a frame of eggs or something from a friend with nationals

Making a switch later is so expensive everyone will be trying to make sure you don't have to do that
    I've never seen a Paradise hive by the way so can't comment

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    It always seems to bend and fall in at one edge or something
    Always is the word. I had to smile at your words. You'd imagine laying on a sheet of thin perspex or acrylic would be a simple matter but it takes me several tries to get it right. Maybe if it was a tad wider (with corners rounded to ensure the roof went on easily) it wouldn't fall in so often. Hardly a big issue but I've got bees in more than 50 of them at the moment.

Yes, queen mating is slow. Had quite a few failures earlier but now most seem to be finding short windows in the cool weather eventually.

I set out six keilers 3 facing south with early sun and 3 facing north with shade till afternoon.
    They all have mated queens now but the ones facing South were always leading in building wax getting laying etc
    All queens are sisters all bees from same source.
    Keilers are a bit bigger than apideas but this year I think a bit of sunshine rather than shade might help.
    Are you using the mini plus or something else Gavin

Blog Entries

Some of the MiniPluses are in use but most of my queens are in Paynes nucs at the moment, both splits and grafted queens. Like yours, some are in the shade and some in the sun. I don't think it matters much at least in terms of queen mating. Some of the shady Paynes nucs have dead bees in (dry) feeders which are now going mouldy . Time for a bit of box swapping and cleaning.

With the weather the way it is we haven't yet done any stress-testing of the absconding risk from MPs up in the air in the sun. All seems OK but the sample is small so far.