Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Paradise beebox hive

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post
    These guys don't seem to have any problems with these hives
    Gwizzie

Firstly, they're using Langstroths. The lug rests are slightly better than those of the Nationals.

Secondly, I've only watched a bit of the video, but I don't think those people care one iota about squashing bees.

Kitta

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    Well, gwizzie - you have been warned! Before you invest in any more MB Nationals, go and have a look at somebody using those hives with large, long-established colonies in them. The tight fit of the frames, and the lack of beespace underneath the lugs create a huge problem for manipulating the bees. I've just come back from my bees cursing and swearing at MB Nationals. To quote Grizzly on MBs, "They're not fit for purpose."

It's a shame, because they're strong and well-made - but the design is poor. Their only good points are that they're easy to close the bees in, and easy to move safely - that's all.

As MBC, I'm trying to change over to Swienties (but I've reduced the lugs by two millimeters - so now the Swienties are ideal).

Have a look at the thread 'Polyhive Musings'.

Kitta
    Hi Kitta,

thanks for your input and comments, which I will take on board. As I have said I have 2 of these and looked at other hives (polly) I will see how I get on with these but had not noticed that the frames in my other hive were tight, I see where others are coming from about the bee space under the lugs, I have been on a few visits to a members apiary that uses hives the same as this with bee space above the frames and did find that I was or anyone else (newbies) were squashing any bees.

As I have said these are the newer design and time will tell, I can only hope that they will be ok for me, so far I like them and how they go together.... I have squashed more bees with the wooden hives than these...

Thanks for the pointer Polyhive Musings did a forum search but nothing but then found it in google http://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/sh...y-hive-musings will be bed time reading for me tonight

Hi Kitta,

... I see where others are coming from about the bee space under the lugs, I have been on a few visits to a members apiary that uses hives the same as this with bee space above the frames and did find that I was or anyone else (newbies) were squashing any bees.

As I have said these are the newer design ...
    Yes, it's the space under the lugs that's the problem - not the space above the lugs and the frames.

Did they change the lug rests in the new design? I wasn't aware that they had a new design.

Kitta

Yes, it's the space under the lugs that's the problem - not the space above the lugs and the frames.

Did they change the lug rests in the new design? I wasn't aware that they had a new design.

Kitta
    Hi Kitta,

No there is no rest to give the bee space under the lug it sits flat. I will use these hives and see how I get on with them as I have said if it dont work for others it does not mean it won't work for me.

I do take onboard everyone's comments as I am new to this.

Hi Kitta,

No there is no rest to give the bee space under the lug it sits flat. ...
    Yes, Gwizzie - that's what we're saying, and that's the problem - of one of the problems. The other is the tight fit.
    Kitta

Yes, Gwizzie - that's what we're saying, and that's the problem - of one of the problems. The other is the tight fit.
    Kitta
    Hi Kitta,

its not a problem for me at this time as I have said I have worked on hives like this and not squashed bees!!! I have not came across the tight fit part until today and that was because of propolis build up on frames from another hive! if you watch the video you will see me take out one of the new frames with no effort or hive tool used (8 min 20 sec in the video) and this is the same on my other hive so I can't agree with the statement of there tight as I have not came across this.

I will gladly keep you all updated on my progress with this hive and any problem that I come across

No there is no rest to give the bee space under the lug it sits flat. I will use these hives and see how I get on with them as I have said if it dont work for others it does not mean it won't work for me.
    I'd assume that if this is all you know then it won't be a problem. For what it's worth, we make our own boxes to take BS frames without a lug rest, so basically the same design in that respect as far as I can tell. Far prefer it to having silly little wells full of propolis behind frame 'rests'. May even prove beneficial (one less hiding place) if the beetles get here.

edit: it wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn that this is by far the most common way of dealing with frame rests worldwide.
    Last edited by prakel; 15-07-2015 at 07:57 AM.

Prakel, it's the combination of no lug rests and a very tight fit that make the MB Nationals so difficult to handle. The old-style Swienties don't have lug rests either. I don't like that, but there is wiggle room. With the MBs you have to force the frames in place at exactly the right place.

Those wells of propolis are the bees' medicine cabinets!

Kitta

Prakel, it's the combination of no lug rests and a very tight fit that make the MB Nationals so difficult to handle. The old-style Swienties don't have lug rests either. I don't like that, but there is wiggle room. With the MBs you have to force the frames in place at exactly the right place.

Those wells of propolis are the bees' medicine cabinets!

Kitta
    Can't comment on the tight fit having not used those boxes -designing anything not to be inter-changeable with other kit is a major flaw as far as I'm concerned. I never quite understood why mb/paradise didn't develope a BS box to fit their existing langstroth hive. Maybe it was impossible to do but I'd have thought that there would have been a way around it.

On the propolis front, I doubt that having masses of heavy 'in-fill' going hard and stale is of great importance to their health but it may be.

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    ... designing anything not to be inter-changeable with other kit is a major flaw as far as I'm concerned. ...
    Oh yes, there's that too! They don't fit with any other box at all. Those plastic rim enforcements create openings between whatever other box you're using and the MB box.
    Kitta