Thread: Paradise beebox hive

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    Yes, it's the space under the lugs that's the problem - not the space above the lugs and the frames.

Did they change the lug rests in the new design? I wasn't aware that they had a new design.

Kitta
    Hi Kitta,

No there is no rest to give the bee space under the lug it sits flat. I will use these hives and see how I get on with them as I have said if it dont work for others it does not mean it won't work for me.

I do take onboard everyone's comments as I am new to this.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post
    Hi Kitta,

No there is no rest to give the bee space under the lug it sits flat. ...
    Yes, Gwizzie - that's what we're saying, and that's the problem - of one of the problems. The other is the tight fit.
    Kitta

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    Yes, Gwizzie - that's what we're saying, and that's the problem - of one of the problems. The other is the tight fit.
    Kitta
    Hi Kitta,

its not a problem for me at this time as I have said I have worked on hives like this and not squashed bees!!! I have not came across the tight fit part until today and that was because of propolis build up on frames from another hive! if you watch the video you will see me take out one of the new frames with no effort or hive tool used (8 min 20 sec in the video) and this is the same on my other hive so I can't agree with the statement of there tight as I have not came across this.

I will gladly keep you all updated on my progress with this hive and any problem that I come across

Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post
    No there is no rest to give the bee space under the lug it sits flat. I will use these hives and see how I get on with them as I have said if it dont work for others it does not mean it won't work for me.
    I'd assume that if this is all you know then it won't be a problem. For what it's worth, we make our own boxes to take BS frames without a lug rest, so basically the same design in that respect as far as I can tell. Far prefer it to having silly little wells full of propolis behind frame 'rests'. May even prove beneficial (one less hiding place) if the beetles get here.

edit: it wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn that this is by far the most common way of dealing with frame rests worldwide.
    Last edited by prakel; 15-07-2015 at 07:57 AM.