Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi there everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Atchley View Post
    What a lot of work! Looks good.

I'd leave as much space between hives as you can spare. Not all in neat rows either, and some slightly askew? Untidy though!
    Perhaps a zig zag pattern.. ? How about a nice spiral...that will ensure the bees are scattered everywhere..?

Quote Originally Posted by madasafish View Post
    Perhaps a zig zag pattern.. ? How about a nice spiral...that will ensure the bees are scattered everywhere..?
    LOL not going to be that adventurous. straight lines will do me...

Well it was such a lovely day here today that I thought I would go up to my apiary and check on my bees... As I approached the apiary I started to hear this roaring sound that was getting louder and louder, O no I thought, is one of the hives been knocked over ???

No to my delight it was my two strongest hives out flying

what a delight to see . I checked on my other hives and they were starting to come out to and fly about in front of their hives. When I went to check the nuc that I have been overwintering I found that they were busy taking in pollen
    IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

starting to get excited now

Cuteness!!!! (And snowdrops, from the look of it.) Every winter I go through a period where I start to engage with the other bits of my life, & think, hmmm, maybe I should give up bees for a bit, I'm not really so hooked on them am I?
    & then they go & do something like this, & I'm a lost cause again. Enjoy!

Keep looking for a like button for posts like the two above Emma and Gwizzie!

Not so far from you Gwizzie and just spent the afternoon pottering round the bees, picking up my first sting of 2016 as I added fondant to one sans smoker! Just lovely - and looks like the weekend might even be warm enough to consider opening up a hive or two!

Blog Entries

Today here in Ireland lots of bee flying in the warm sunshine, lets hope we dont get a bad cold snap as everything is going fine so far.

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    Keep looking for a like button for posts like the two above Emma and Gwizzie!
    Think this is something that Gavin should look into as we don't have one ??

Not so far from you Gwizzie and just spent the afternoon pottering round the bees, picking up my first sting of 2016 as I added fondant to one sans smoker! Just lovely - and looks like the weekend might even be warm enough to consider opening up a hive or two!
    when you say not far from me do you mean close by ? not had my dose of venamin this year yet but im sure its not far away

Well relatively speaking - I'm in Speyside and you're in Ross-shire. Us north of the central belt-ers need to stick together!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post
    LOL not going to be that adventurous. straight lines will do me...
    gwizzie the suggestion of not setting the hives down in straight lines is to help prevent drifting ... to help bees return to the hive they came out of. Straight rows make this difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Atchley View Post
    gwizzie the suggestion of not setting the hives down in straight lines is to help prevent drifting ... to help bees return to the hive they came out of. Straight rows make this difficult.
    Hi Kate, yes I am fully aware of that but think I have enough room to space them out and they won't be there all year as that compound is for overwintering mainly.