Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi there everyone

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    Nice video.
    I don't wish to be critical but one thing I noticed was the porter bee escape left in the crown board, the bees often propolise these up so that they're ineffective if left on, be carefully to free the springs if you use this to clear the super later on.
    Yep I am aware of that and will be cleaning and checking before I use them, but thank you for the comment.

Well small update for those that want to read it, I checked on the hives today and they still are pulling a small amount of honey not much as the ling is just about done now. The swarm hive is doing about the best with 4 frames full and just about capped off, the other 2 are struggling a bit but in saying that I am happy with the amount that I have got for the 1st year as I started SO late in the season and some of my hives are only about 2 to 3 months old now.
    Fingers crossed for a good winter and a good start to the spring, I have a better understanding now of what I have to do for next year all going well and should be hopefully going from 6 hives to about 15 next year prob finish at 20 think that that is enough for me.

Plan to use the rapeseed to build some of my hives up to double brood boxed hives for the heather ? comments welcome !!!! any suggestions of what to do with the rapeseed honey ??

Well checked the hives today as I have been busy with other things like life in general, and I think i'll be lucky to even get a teaspoon party going as there is not much honey on 2 of the hives they seem to have moved it down stairs, the 3rd hive that has got a supper on it well it might give me about 4 frames, just enough for my porridge for a few weeks.

So tomorrow it's off with the suppers and on with the feeders as going on holiday next week and want to get this all sorted before I go. I have given the hives a wee lift with one hand and can just about tilt the brood box there all heavy so think that's a good sign that they will have enough stores for the winter, so feed before it gets too cold for them to take the syrup.

Humm never got time to take of the supers before I went on holiday :-( never mind back now and will raid the supers tomorrow to see what I get, will keep you posted but don't think it will be much
    Last edited by gwizzie; 27-10-2015 at 05:34 PM.

Hi Graham
    As I mentioned in your other thread please be careful you leave enough Winter stores for them as it's a bit late now for syrup feeding
    P.s it's super as in superintendent or supervise (meaning above) as opposed to supper which is a tasty evening snack
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Hi Graham
    As I mentioned in your other thread please be careful you leave enough Winter stores for them as it's a bit late now for syrup feeding
    P.s it's super as in superintendent or supervise (meaning above) as opposed to supper which is a tasty evening snack
    DR
    LOL just back from Crete bud,,,, head and fingers not really working together yet..... all sorted now

please see other thread reply http://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/sh...ll=1#post32752

Well bees are doing fine so far as the winter has been very mild up here, checking on the bees yesterday one of the hive was very active as you can see here

These are the are only bees that I have that I will do this with and also NO bee suit

Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post

These are the are only bees that I have that I will do this with and also NO bee suit

I can do that with all my hives at this time of year.. it's when there are lots more bees when I start to take a little more care... or in the case of our Association bees, wear a veil and tunic and boots and vinyls and apply Avon "Skin So Soft" to my hands and cuffs.

Well its took a bit of time but we're nearly there as my 1st apiary is now just about finished

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

Just got to make all the stands now for all the hives, I have worked out that I will get 16 hives along the back wall of the fence, leaving room for me to get around the hives.
    One thing that I would like to know is how much room to give between hives (distance from front of hive to next hive in front ?) The whole apiary will be covered on three sides with broom. I will post more pic's later.
    Last edited by gwizzie; 10-03-2016 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post
    Well its took a bit of time but we're nearly there as my 1st apiary is now just about finished
    Just got to make all the stands now for all the hives, I have worked out that I will get 16 hives along the back wall of the fence, leaving room for me to get around the hives.
    One thing that I would like to know is how much room to give between hives (distance from front of hive to next hive in front ?)....
    What a lot of work! Looks good.

I'd leave as much space between hives as you can spare. Not all in neat rows either, and some slightly askew? Untidy though!
    Last edited by Kate Atchley; 10-03-2016 at 08:38 AM.