Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi there everyone

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Like your enthusiasm Gwizzie
    You might have started a new trend to post video

What are you going to do in the Winter when there is no beekeeping

There might be a thread on here about varroa treatments that's an important Winter task
    You can start now with thymol treatments but not if your bees are going to heather
    Hey DR,
    Yep you could bee (pardon the pun) LOL yes I think it is a good way of referring back on hive inspections as were all not getting any younger (me included) and memory is not as good as I would like it and videoing what I do at each hive is a great way, also allows me to show it to you guys so you can scrutinise it

In the winter I will be learning more and getting ready for the next year MY 1st Real year of beekeeping. (hibernating more like) LOL

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Seven frames of brood is good but with 3 frames left to draw they are not strong enough now to get a heather crop. Keep feeding until that box is full and you might (just might) yet get some heather honey as it is a late season. I just watched the second one.

The bees seem to be leaving your black gloves alone, but sometimes they react badly to black.

Good though, and yes, this could be a new trend.
    Hi Gav, you could be right I'm not saying your not, but they're going to the heather as there getting to many now flying about in my small garden, also they will still get a feed to help them out to draw the last few

As for the black gloves !!! I was told that when others seen them but they don't bother with them at all gav and there stronger and thicker than the blue ones. Also hands don't sweat as much in these.
    These are the ones
    $_57.jpg
    Last edited by gwizzie; 05-08-2015 at 04:22 PM.

Talking

Just a wee update on my hives that now have all been moved to my apiary, they are all doing fine. Two of the hives have had a super on then for the last week, and when checking the other two hives today they were about to burst so I have had to add supers to them now as well, there seems to be a good flow on here now around my apiary.

The bell heather is still out but the main ling heather is just starting to come out now and the bees are just getting to work on it, lets hope that the weather stays the same as it has for the last few days . I seen one of my bees working the ling today BIG deal for me as my 1st year of beekeeping so sorry if this post boars you

Can someone please tell me if the pollen on the bees leg is from the ling heather ???

Last edited by gwizzie; 19-08-2015 at 07:21 PM.

Hi Graham
    Is that one called heather
    They seem to be working individually where's all her mates ?

I'm Waiting for the "extracting heather honey " vid

Well after showing the video to a beekeeper he thinks that the pollen on the bees leg is more likely to be field thistle as ling heather pollen is a bit more browner. O well you learn something new every day

Well fingers crossed for some good weather and hard working bees for that long awaited Highlander heather

Gwizzie
    Have you got yourself a microscope yet ?
    The SBA run a microscopy course most years doing pollen identification ,nosema , pollen samples from honey etc
    All interesting stuff and I think you would enjoy it
    Heres a pic of a pollen grain taken by just sticking the lens of a compact camera against the eyepiece of the microscope

IMGP0626.jpg

Sorry G for some reason it hasn't displayed but there are loads on the net
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 20-08-2015 at 11:58 AM. Reason: picture not displayed so deleted

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Gwizzie
    Have you got yourself a microscope yet ?
    The SBA run a microscopy course most years doing pollen identification ,nosema , pollen samples from honey etc
    All interesting stuff and I think you would enjoy it
    Heres a pic of a pollen grain taken by just sticking the lens of a compact camera against the eyepiece of the microscope

IMGP0626.jpg

Sorry G for some reason it hasn't displayed but there are loads on the net
    Hey DR, No not yet not sure if I will need one as the local club has a science officer and she does all that kind a stuff for a job so sorted there . Humm not sure about the course as too far to travel ?

Ok guys I have been up at my apiary on sunday to check on a things and have a peek in to see how the honey collecting is going and there doing a great job so far BUT I did notice one thing out of the 4 hives 2 are wooden and 2 are poly.... now the 2 wooden hives have bees only drawing comb and filling in the center of the super's, BUT the super's on both of the poly hives the bees are ALL over the 10 frames drawing them all out.

So my conclusion to this is that the poly hives are warmer for the bees than the wooden ones and they are spreading themselves over the whole super, were as the wooden ones are only drawing out come over the bee custer of the hive ?

what do you think or make of this ????

Forgot to post this video in this thread, it shows the difference Im getting between the poly hives and the wooden ones, Massive difference I would say

Nice video.
    I don't wish to be critical but one thing I noticed was the porter bee escape left in the crown board, the bees often propolise these up so that they're ineffective if left on, be carefully to free the springs if you use this to clear the super later on.