Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 109

Thread: Hi there everyone

  1. #21
    Senior Member fatshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Finest Fife
    Posts
    1,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post
    This is what I have decided to do for the marking of the queens, I am going to stick to a 2 colour system White and Yellow! reson easier to see Yellow for odd years and White even years ect, ect.
    You can get away with one colour and good records, so saving a whopping 3 or so for the pen. Once marked (and clipped) the queen should stay put and your records should tell you when you marked her. Good records are actually more important than marking queens (and I'm afraid this is a case of Don't do as I do, but do as I say ). I'm colourblind and really struggle with the red and green marking of queens.

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    You can get away with one colour and good records, so saving a whopping 3 or so for the pen. Once marked (and clipped) the queen should stay put and your records should tell you when you marked her. Good records are actually more important than marking queens (and I'm afraid this is a case of Don't do as I do, but do as I say ). I'm colourblind and really struggle with the red and green marking of queens.
    Hi thanks for the input, its not to save on money but that does help as I have said it for easy seeing of the colours, but I do intend on keeping good records I am also going to put a marker on the outside of the hive plastic pins to show at a glance what colour queen should be in the hive.

  3. #23

    Smile

    Well yesterday I decided to have a peek into the swarm hive to see if the queen had started to lay yet ? and to my surprise 4th frame in capped brood (my neighbour thought I had been stung) as I danced around the hive full of joy.

    Sorry if I sound a bit over excited but 1st swarm 1st laying queen, even though I haven't really done anything. I promptly put the have back together and will leave it for a few weeks now before I check it again, is that correct or how long should it be before I check it again ?

  4. #24
    Administrator gavin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Tayside
    Posts
    4,402
    Blog Entries
    41

    Default

    Some new queens might give you queen cells, most just settle. Not much need to check it regularly but do so if you wish. Feed if it is weak, no need if strong or there is a good flow.

    Dancing around the hive was the right response .

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Some new queens might give you queen cells, most just settle. Not much need to check it regularly but do so if you wish. Feed if it is weak, no need if strong or there is a good flow.

    Dancing around the hive was the right response .
    Thanks Gav, dancing around the hive was a great feeling but not sure it did my back any good as it's a bit sore today

    Not sure if I need to feed it now as I did give it 2 loads of ambrosia to help draw out the frames, also plenty bees coming and going with pollen ect only a few frames not drawn out.
    SO should I give them a little to help them out or leave them ?

  6. #26

    Default

    wee update on the swarm hive, working very hard in the wind to bring in stores and pollen. Its a creamy colour so think its from the brambles as there seems to be a lot of it that they're taking in just now.


  7. #27

    Default

    Well I did a hive inspection of the swarm hive yesterday and I must say I was inpressed and shocked at the rate that they have built this hive up in one month

    1st inspection of swarm hive



    2nd inspection of swarm hive


    comments welcome guys if any ?

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post
    comments welcome guys if any ?
    Like your enthusiasm Gwizzie
    You might have started a new trend to post video

    What are you going to do in the Winter when there is no beekeeping

    There might be a thread on here about varroa treatments that's an important Winter task
    You can start now with thymol treatments but not if your bees are going to heather

  9. #29
    Administrator gavin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Tayside
    Posts
    4,402
    Blog Entries
    41

    Default

    Seven frames of brood is good but with 3 frames left to draw they are not strong enough now to get a heather crop. Keep feeding until that box is full and you might (just might) yet get some heather honey as it is a late season. I just watched the second one.

    The bees seem to be leaving your black gloves alone, but sometimes they react badly to black.

    Good though, and yes, this could be a new trend.

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    The bees seem to be leaving your black gloves alone, but sometimes they react badly to black.
    Johnny Cash was never going to make a beekeeper

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •