Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New beekeeping apprentice

Default New beekeeping apprentice

Hi,

This is my first post here. Having been interested in beekeeping for years, this year I've finally started. I've been really lucky to find myself a mentor, I've bought a new bee suit and I experienced my first hive a week ago. The colony needed to be split to prevent swarming, so I had a great introduction. I've nearly finished reading the BBKA guide to beekeeping, I'm really enjoying Bill Turnbull's book and I have a recommended reading list from my mentor who is lovely. She's happy to answer my endless questions and next session i'll be handling some frames. I have no bees or equipment yet but I'd like to learn more and build up some confidence first. My tutor recommended that I get to experience the different hives before I choose to buy one which sounds great advice. I plan to join my local association which is the Aberdeen one in the coming months too.

Welcome Beth

Definitely lots of nice beekeepers in your area

Most people use a hive with BS size frames
    Depends how many hives you intend to have eventually
    If I had one in my Garden I would have a WBC
    Then there’s Poly hives ugly but practical
    And the Nationals boxy but good
    Smith hives (I use them) no sticky out bits for in the car but non standard frame lugs

Then there are the Warre , top bar and other less practical options to start with

Finally there are the hives like the sun hive , made of wood lattice and cowpats
    Definitely only for the wigwam dweller or tree hugger

More important than all those though are the bees
    You hopefully will find nice gentle ones in you local area

Hi Drone Ranger,

Thanks for the welcome, from what I've picked up so far, this hobby grows and grows. Famous last words but i'd want to keep things fairly small as i'm also doing a degree at the same time and I have kids etc. My husband plans to get involved when I do get some bees and he has a bad back so I did wonder about the top bars but I understand they have (strips?) not frames, not sure if they would be a good starter hive.

Thanks

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by BethPotters View Post
    Hi Drone Ranger,

Thanks for the welcome, from what I've picked up so far, this hobby grows and grows. Famous last words but i'd want to keep things fairly small as i'm also doing a degree at the same time and I have kids etc. My husband plans to get involved when I do get some bees and he has a bad back so I did wonder about the top bars but I understand they have (strips?) not frames, not sure if they would be a good starter hive.

Thanks

Beth
    Hi Beth
    Any hive where you have to lift boxes off and on can be a strain on the back
    Most of the weight is in the frames rather than the boxes
    Poly is lighter so that's a help
    Making stands with 14" legs gets the broodbox up to an easier on the back height
    When taking honey off the supers rather than lift the box off you can just take a few full ones at at time

There will be a few people on SBA forum that have used top bar hives or the Long Deep Hive
    You could start a thread on them that will get some discussion going

An alternative to putting hives on stands is to put them on the ground -a couple of pieces of wood etc will keep them out of the wet. You're then able to kneel while inspecting the colonies, apart from lessening strain on the back it also seems to lessen the 'interest'which the bees show in you -not such a large, threatening presence. There are also some technical advantages of being close to the frames as you inspect -with practice you'll soon be scanning the face side of the next frame as you remove the previous one -useful in those rare instances where you need to find the queen.

Blog Entries

Default New beekeeping apprentice

I'd agree with Prakel, I like kneeling and having a good look without my back aching. Also by the time you have a few supers on, your not lifting at a height that could be difficult. I use 4 bricks with a wooden decking square as the base, lifts them off enough for good ventilation.
    Last edited by HJBee; 19-06-2015 at 06:05 AM.

I can't get up again it's OK for you young whippersnappers

Blog Entries

When I'm at that point I will use my garden kneeler with the arms (which I already need - so no do whippersnappery)

Quote Originally Posted by HJBee View Post
    When I'm at that point I will use my garden kneeler with the arms (which I already need - so no do whippersnappery)
    How do I run away on my knees when I drop a comb

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    How do I run away on my knees when I drop a comb
    When I was (even) younger one of my other hobbies involved spending considerable time 'walking' on my knees -surprising how quick you can move with a little practice .