Thread: Newbies in East Lothian

Default Newbies in East Lothian

Hello!

My husband and I are still at the research stage but we'd really like to keep bees. I see there is a stand at the Haddington show later this month and we intend to go to that (we live in Haddington).

We're looking forward to getting to know the ropes before we get some bees. Currently, we have no knowledge, no kit and no expertise, so this is our first step in gaining some of those before we dive in.

Sue

Blog Entries

Welcome, Sue. Beekeeping is one of the most engrossing, rewarding, frustrating, painful and costly hobbies around!

You're in luck. As well as the good folk of SBAi the East Lothian Beekeepers Association will be helpful. They meet in Haddington for their winter talks as well as in members' apiaries. Get in touch with Deborah and she can tell you more:

http://www.scottishbeekeepers.org.uk...ociations.html

Just to prove that they really do exist you can see some East Lothian beekeepers here:

http://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/sh...-in-Bees/page2

I'm not the only forum inhabitant to have trundled along to entertain beekeepers in the town hall.

Blog Entries

OK, some more. The trick (and fascination) of beekeeping is getting a feel for what they need, and what they wish to do. Getting to the stage when you just *know* whether a colony is likely to head off down the swarming route soon, even before the usual direct signs. The importance of brood nest warmth. The speed with which they can starve, suddenly pack a box with honey, or draw out a new box of comb. Telling when they are getting bad tempered, why, and what you can do about it. Getting to grips with how they see their surroundings, and what happens when you interfere with their home.

It takes years to grasp most of that. Speak to the knowledgeable beekeepers in your local association, talk with others on here and elsewhere. Get to grips with the basics, but realise there is a whole lot more.

Equipment? Look at the websites of Thorne, Paynes, Swienty, Abelo, Modern Beekeeping, Maisemore, Mann Lake (but be careful of their non-standard sizes), Fragile Planet. Beginner's kits can be a good way to start, but try to go with thin gloves rather than gauntlets from the start for more sensitive beekeeping and less cross bees. Most people would need a second full hive in their first year with a full-sized colony, and it escalates from there. An extractor is another expensive purchase when you wish to take off a honey crop but perhaps your local association may have one to share.

Quote Originally Posted by sueandsime View Post
    Currently, we have no knowledge, no kit and no expertise
    You'll be in good company here then

Except we've all got too much kit.

Seriously, to add to Gavin's welcome … talk to local beekeepers about getting suitable local bees. They're more likely to flourish in Haddington than something raised in Cyprus or Greece. Most beginner courses run through the winter meaning there's huge demand for bees early in the season. In contrast, starter colonies (nucs) should be widely available over the next couple of months and, with some support from a friendly beekeeping association, you should be able to prepare these for winter and overwinter them successfully, ready for 2016. You should still take the winter course though.

Thanks for the welcome. It's good to know there is such an active local community of bee keepers!

If you want to know a bit more about beekeeping can I suggest the Honey Tent at the Royal Highland Show with is run by the Scottish Beekeeping Association

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk