Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: encore demaree

Greengumbo I think things were slightly later this year I put Snegrove boards on at the start of last week in May.
    With boards you seldom get away with it if they have started queen cells so I just take the queen and some brood to a nuc in those circumstances and reduce all the cells a few days after to 1 big juicy one

I have a zero tolerance policy on chalkbrood and just burn all the combs and give them another box with foundation

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post

Edit, neither would I mark virgins, but then I don't use an incubator and find cells are better accepted than virgins.
    I only add virgins at the same time as a scoop of wet bees. Once the first queen is mated I use queen cells. Running in virgins as many advise I find is carnage and you lose the half of them. When you add a wet scoop of bees on top of the virgin via the floor of the apidea you rarely lose one. I have done about 70 so far this year like this and I don't think I have lost any.

If reusing cell cups it helps to put them in for a day as the bees leave them spotless.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Greengumbo I think things were slightly later this year I put Snegrove boards on at the start of last week in May.
    With boards you seldom get away with it if they have started queen cells so I just take the queen and some brood to a nuc in those circumstances and reduce all the cells a few days after to 1 big juicy one
    I tried using a Snelgrove board on a couple of colonies last year, for the first time. Waited for signs of swarm preparations, then did an A.S. with empty frames or combs & queen below, brood above, Snelgrove in between. I didn't destroy any queen cells but instead bled bees from top to bottom by switching entrances. I had to keep travelling away for days at a time, so my timing was a bit rough & ready, and results were mixed. It put me off trying Snelgrove again, which is a shame as it'd sounded a great tool, especially if you're trying to keep the apiary footprint small.

Are you saying that you find that the Snelgrove board works better for pre-emptive demarees, before the bees have made up their minds to swarm? Hadn't thought of that...

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    Oh god I hope I haven't dented his PR. Just to be clear the queen in question came from a graft taken from my own stocks and then mated down in Tayside...

Bee numbers pretty good in that hive...they fill a poly lang but no sign of swarm cells or eggs in QCups yet and plenty chalk. Maybe a shook swarm needed and thymolated syrup feed - too late ?
    I'm running 4 queens this year from the same line as that one of yours, Greengumbo. Two were mated with hand-picked drones from Tayside (& thereabouts), two with my own gorgeous mongrel boys &/or random locals. All four were surprisingly chalky this spring. Less so in the less draughty nests; where they were mated made no obvious difference. I don't feed in the spring, unless I really have to, which was maybe a bit hard on them with this year's weather - they've been building up nicely since the flow came on. A couple have got as far as eggs in queen cups, but so far ekeing out the brood nests a comb at a time has distracted them from going any further!

@Drone ranger I've once or twice had chalkbrood appear on fairly recently-drawn brood nests. I'm still keen to replace comb, but I'm setting my hopes on insulation & draughtproofing. I have old hives & I've seen a very strong correlation between draughts & chalkbrood. (Especially one time in 2013 - stupid, stupid, _stupid_ beekeeper!) It's encouraging that replacing comb works for you - I might try to do that even more. I'm reluctant to lose the queenline as the bees are just such a delight to work with - calm on the comb; great at overwintering; lovely temperament. The latter is particularly useful where I stay, as we have a lot of gardening volunteers & visitors, many of whom like to be introduced to the bees.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma View Post
    I tried using a Snelgrove board on a couple of colonies last year, for the first time. Waited for signs of swarm preparations, then did an A.S. with empty frames or combs & queen below, brood above, Snelgrove in between. I didn't destroy any queen cells but instead bled bees from top to bottom by switching entrances. I had to keep travelling away for days at a time, so my timing was a bit rough & ready, and results were mixed. It put me off trying Snelgrove again, which is a shame as it'd sounded a great tool, especially if you're trying to keep the apiary footprint small.

Are you saying that you find that the Snelgrove board works better for pre-emptive demarees, before the bees have made up their minds to swarm? Hadn't thought of that...
    Hi Emma
    The plan should be to have your bees on a double brood box first
    You have to get a snelgrove board on before they make any queen cells
    When you begin to see drones wandering around in your hive that should be about the right time
    Once they start preparations to swarm it's too late (eggs in queen cups)
    (Snelgroves method 2 is what he recommends when queen cells are discovered but I haven't found that reliable)
    I couldn't give advice on demarree but it takes more work and in our unreliable weather you can't always do inspections when you need to
    All these swarm control methods are aimed at preventing the swarrming impulse
    Once they make queen cells you need another plan of action
    Hope that makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Emma View Post
    @Drone ranger I've once or twice had chalkbrood appear on fairly recently-drawn brood nests. I'm still keen to replace comb, but I'm setting my hopes on insulation & draughtproofing. I have old hives & I've seen a very strong correlation between draughts & chalkbrood
    Shortage of food in spring can make things worse and although chalkbrood is a fungus that is found in the environment the main probllem is mostly beekeeper activity spreading it from one hive to another
    So any combs which have been in contact with chalkbrood are contaminated and tend to get put in another hive at some point speading the problem to otherwise healthy bees
    If you have a good nectar flow and the bees are drawing wax it's better to sacrifice the contaminated brood in the fire and give the bees a clean hive, new combs and a bit of syrup to help start drawing
    Other solutions might work but they haven't for me in the past
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 06-06-2015 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I only add virgins at the same time as a scoop of wet bees. Once the first queen is mated I use queen cells. Running in virgins as many advise I find is carnage and you lose the half of them. When you add a wet scoop of bees on top of the virgin via the floor of the apidea you rarely lose one. I have done about 70 so far this year like this and I don't think I have lost any.

If reusing cell cups it helps to put them in for a day as the bees leave them spotless.
    Hi John, when you say wet do you mean water wet or light syrup spray wet ? I usually run virgins into the hive with a good puff of smoke but like you say it is hit and miss.

I thought about spraying them with syrup and dumping on the virgin queen in the mating nuc then locking up for a few days.

Blog Entries

Water, I'll wager. Though the bees do seem to end up sticky: I guess they add their own sugar.

Blog Entries

Oh, and I'm not at all bothered by your comments on chalkbrood :-) Yes, that line I grafted from eggs from your Amm-ish queen has produced some nice and some not so nice progeny. It also threw one colony that has a lot of yellow stripy types. I guess that queen came from the same Aberdeenshire mating that was giving you some stripy bees in the mother colony.

Chalkbrood has generally been worse than average this year. All that cold weather affecting colonies stretching themselves for the spring build-up, probably.

Blog Entries

Yes just a water spray GG. By the time the bees have cleaned themselves up the virgin is part of the family.
    the success rate for introduction like this is near 100%