Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel screen mesh Q

Question Travel screen mesh Q

I need to make a lot of travel screens for poly nucs i.e. a custom size, and only likely to be used once or twice. Has anyone used this (Amazon link to plastic or fibreglass [?] insect mesh of the sort used for windows or doors) type of insect screen mesh for temporary confinement of bees?

Please note this is not for the importation of dozens of nucs from Cantabria

If in doubt buy a bit, make screen leave on over night blocked in and if bees still there next morning in confinement, there's your answer.

PH

We use the same type of fibreglass mesh as this for the two ends, plus a large hole in top of the correx nuc boxes, it works well.

I've used this plastic stuff, which they call greenhouse shading, as a travel screen. Bought off the roll at a nearby agricultural store. They don't sell that brand any more, they've got this stuff instead.

Blog Entries

I once used a fine plastic mesh (much finer than the above, the kind used as a powdered sugar sifter) covered eke as a travel screen. How dumb was that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    I've used this plastic stuff, which they call greenhouse shading, as a travel screen. Bought off the roll at a nearby agricultural store. They don't sell that brand any more, they've got this stuff instead.
    I've used similar with no probs. Well there were big probs but that was because the varroa floors had been pushed up when I lifted the hives...not due to the mesh. I duck tape the mesh down and its grand.

Thanks everyone … I'll get busy.

Are your Varroa floors just held down by gravity greengumbo? You do like to live life on the edge, don't you?!

Blog Entries

I had some Swienty mesh panels in their poly National floors that would be 'nailed down later'. Made for an interesting drive to Glen Clova.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    I had some Swienty mesh panels in their poly National floors that would be 'nailed down later'. Made for an interesting drive to Glen Clova.
    It was more of this kind of situation fatshark. Whats life without a few hundred bees flying about your face driving around Aberdeen City centre of a busy afternoon.

Blog Entries

Hmmnn. Not quite the same as a rural drive when the obvious solution is to open the window and let them out .