Thread: New tube-device for catching swarms, no more ladders needed.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb New tube-device for catching swarms, no more ladders needed.

A new device for catching swarms is getting great reviews at the moment. It's a tube that you make up on the spot from sections of gutter-downpipe with a wider piece at the top and a cut-off leg from nylon tights attached at the bottom end. Attached to the top end is also a pump-operated water sprayer (locked in on-position) to wet the swarm before you scoop it into the pipe. The swarm just comes down the shute in one big rush.

Last important detail is a knot, tied a few inches above the end of the nylon, that's where you can grab it for emptying the swarm into your box after taking off all but the last section of drainpipe (just pour it into the box).

It's inventor, Henry Seifert, wants it to be known as "Seifertsches Schwarmfangrohr".

I'll post pictures as soon as I get a chance to take some. Unfortunately swarms are rather rare up here, so I have not tried this myself yet.

Who'll be the first to try it here?
    Doris

Hi Doris,

I wish I had one two weeks ago. I got a call about a swarm just before I was due to leave for Austria. When I got there the swarm was the biggest prime swarm I have ever seen. It was also on the top branches of a pine tree about 100 - 150 feet off the ground. There was no way I was going to climb that tree! What hight does this tube go up to?

Jimbo

Blog Entries

Hi Jimbo

100-150 feet sounds very high indeed. The hight of this tube depends on how many sections of pipe you have and are still able to handle, it's up to you. It's not a gadget that you can buy, it's a DIY thing.
    Shame about having to let that swarm go.

I have just recently followed the unfolding story of a beekeeper in Germany who had a great swarm hanging in a Birch tree outside her house. Not accessible by ladder and no tube device at hand. A bait hive set up on the balcony failed to attract the swarm down. Eventually she decided to use her crossbow to shoot an arrow with string attached over the branch with the swarm, pulled up a comb with brood, and lowered it down again with a good part of the swarm attached. After a second broodcomb-shuttle she had most of the bees in her box.

Doris
    Last edited by Stromnessbees; 01-06-2010 at 05:06 PM.

Blog Entries

link to photos:

look in reply number 41 and 43:
    http://www.imkerforum.de/showthread....hlight=seifert

Doris

Blog Entries

Jimbo.
    You must be build like Arnold Schwarzenegger if you reckon you can manipulate a 150' long piece of drainpipe with a bag of bees on the end.
    look like a good device for 20'-30' though.

Blog Entries

Having met him (again) at the weekend I can confirm: Dead ringer for Arnie!

Blog Entries

I'll watch out for Jimbo next time Terminator is repeated.
    I've seen it a few times but can't recollect Arnie musing over DrawWwing plots.

Make my day, Carnica, or was that Clint Eastwood!
    Last edited by Jon; 02-06-2010 at 09:45 AM.

Hi Jon,

Just watch me terminate those hybrids!

Jimbo