Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Amm queens

All I can say is thank god I put Amm

Blog Entries

I used to write AMM instead of Amm but Gavin corrected me when I got him to proof read an article I wrote a few years ago. Nowt wrong with a correction if it is done in good humour.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I used to write AMM instead of Amm but Gavin corrected me when I got him to proof read an article I wrote a few years ago. Nowt wrong with a correction if it is done in good humour.
    You have a long memory! Must have affected you deeply . Nowt wrong with a bit of pedantry anyway.

Blog Entries

I do tend to remember when I am corrected but it's not a problem.
    It used to happen a lot with speaking Spanish.
    There were a couple of friends who would always correct minor mistakes I made but if you want to get better those are the sort of friends you need to hang out with.
    Everyone else knows exactly what you mean but they don't correct the error so you go on oblivious thinking everything is perfect.
    And no, a bit of pedantry does no harm at all!

It's no good asking for precision from me

When I was making up some mini nucs today (you all know what I mean )
    It occurred to me that a few drones get chucked in as well (not too many)
    When you read about making up mating nucs you always get "make sure there are no drones......."
    That only matters when you are taking your mating nucs to a mating station (like the serious queen raisers on here)
    If you are mating them in your own apierrry (sic) it does no harm

ps
    I have been guilty of describing near Amm as Ammish in the past
    Luckily the Amish have not taken offence
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 02-08-2015 at 09:04 PM.

Nowt wrong with a correction if it is done in good humour.
    Very true (but how can you tell if just in words) I ran a forum for over 6 years and there is a fine line to how everyone interpreted what is said. NOW back on to beetalk

Jon can you please if poss tell me are Amm bees as productive as buckfast bees for honey ect ect

Nowt wrong with a correction if it is done in good humour.
    And maybe not the approach to take with your very FIRST post!

I probably use AMM and Amm interchangeably. I'm assuming it's some science-y mullarkey that means the second is the correct version.

As to productivity GWizzie - being unscientific and generalising a fair bit I'd say that more native type bees will get you a decent crop most summers whereas uber prolific bees will get you a massive crop in a good year and you'll be feeding them in a crap year like what we are having jist noo.

Maybe to be more accurate I'd say that my sentence above relates to a strong and healthy AMM(!) colony compared with a strong and healthy uber prolific strain colony.
    Last edited by drumgerry; 02-08-2015 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post
    Very true (but how can you tell if just in words) I ran a forum for over 6 years and there is a fine line to how everyone interpreted what is said. NOW back on to beetalk

Jon can you please if poss tell me are Amm bees as productive as buckfast bees for honey ect ect
    Hi Graham
    The one I have of Jon's is really productive and good for honey
    There will be some not so good strains as well
    Likewise with Buckfast I believe Pete Little goes to great lengths to produce the best
    There are a lot of not so good strains of those as well

Bit like Black Rock chickens there is only one true Black Rock (Peter Siddons bred them)
    There are lots of barred rock crossed with Rhode Island Reds which look the same but most are not as good

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Hi Graham
    The one I have of Jon's is really productive and good for honey
    There will be some not so good strains as well
    Likewise with Buckfast I believe Pete Little goes to great lengths to produce the best
    There are a lot of not so good strains of those as well

Bit like Black Rock chickens there is only one true Black Rock (Peter Siddons bred them)
    There are lots of barred rock crossed with Rhode Island Reds which look the same but most are not as good
    DR you never cease to amaze me LOL... I have a few chickens myself all good layers but the Wyandotte's I have can be more broody :-( Back to the bees!
    But thanks for the explanation, I am a wee bit pi**ed as I don't have enough bees to overwinter a few of Jon's queens to get me going next year :-(

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    And maybe not the approach to take with your very FIRST post!

I probably use AMM and Amm interchangeably. I'm assuming it's some science-y mullarkey that means the second is the correct version.

As to productivity GWizzie - being unscientific and generalising a fair bit I'd say that more native type bees will get you a decent crop most summers whereas uber prolific bees will get you a massive crop in a good year and you'll be feeding them in a crap year like what we are having jist noo.

Maybe to be more accurate I'd say that my sentence above relates to a strong and healthy AMM(!) colony compared with a strong and healthy uber prolific strain colony.
    Thanks for your explanation and reply after reading about buckfast bees and others having a nightmare of a time requeening ect etc.... I really think i'm going to stay with the (native) black bees..... O for more bees