Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Q rearing by numbers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    MBC. Do you ever get cells torn down by workers in queenless apideas on introduction?
    The very odd time I have seen a cell torn down and it is not due to a stray virgin it is in an apidea which has brood and a means of making its own queen.
    just a thought but maybe its laying workers or workers on there way to being laying workers ?

My experience has invariably been tied to spells of particularly bad weather at the time of introducing the cells. The odd one pulled down by bees procured at exactly the same time, from the same source hive as those used to make up the rest of the batch (which haven't taken out their cells).

Maybe there's a tie-back to my thoughts regarding giving workers access to the cells; perhaps those cells which I've seen torn down would have produced queens that would have either vanished before successful mating or would have been early for supercedure.

I really wish I knew more about bees, it might make things more certain.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post

Amazing there is still so much to find out about bee behaviour when bees have been so extensively studied for such a long time.

... and yet is it not the very uncertainty, the complexity of the bees' behaviours, that keeps us fascinated? We seek to understand and learn as the uncertainty keeps reasserting itself! Not sure I'd want it otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Atchley View Post
    ... and yet is it not the very uncertainty, the complexity of the bees' behaviours, that keeps us fascinated? We seek to understand and learn as the uncertainty keeps reasserting itself! Not sure I'd want it otherwise.
    You're right of course!

Finally we posted some queens from the Ardnamurchan Native Black Bee Project this week. I hear they all arrived safely the next day and went into nucs straight away.

Here's me putting queen and attendants into their cage for posting ... forgot to put up my veil in my excitement:

Nice video(s) and, quite possibly the best running commentary that I've ever heard on a beekeeping film. No whispering, lecturing or inconprehensible waffle. Totally refreshing. I hope that you'll be posting more.

Nice video(s) and, quite possibly the best running commentary that I've ever heard on a beekeeping film. No whispering, lecturing or inconprehensible waffle. Totally refreshing. I hope that you'll be posting more.
    So glad you liked it Prakel but it's all thanks to the very enthusiastic friend who was with me, with her iPad and questions and eager watching/listening. She took more film but each of the others need some editing to cut out boring bits. Would then be happy to upload them.

Can anyone guide me on editing videos in iMovie?

Blog Entries

Cracking video :-)

.... wish I knew more about editing videos myself.

Quote Originally Posted by busybeephilip View Post
    just a thought but maybe its laying workers or workers on there way to being laying workers ?
    I have a Keiler with laying workers so a chance to experiment
    I took one of their empty combs and grafted a few larva along the bottom cells on it yesterday
    It won't work but its a learning opportunity

Liked Kate's Video

I waited 27 days for laying in another mini nuc keiler and she is finally laying
    That's laying yesterday the first frame of eggs and timed from checking the queen cell had hatched
    I hope I am not being too negative about more queen rearing this season
    It's just if you add 27 days to the 15 from using a cupkit cassette or 12 from grafting its the biblical 40 days and 40 nights
    Ok for a backup queen in case of failure but not perhaps for replacing older queens before Winter
    Better Weather might change all that and knock 10 days off the time
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 30-07-2015 at 09:08 AM.