Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible small hive beetle in Switzerland

Blog Entries

Hi
    I will keep an eye on it. No confirmation so far.
    If we will have to live with it, it seems to be manageable...
    https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/as...nt-options.pdf
    The beekeeper suppliers will be happy to be able to sell us more 20pence articles for xpounds....

[QUOTE=gavin;29611
    Ironically, the Swiss have recently agreed an import ban to help protect them from small hive beetle. Yet another reason for pressing once more to seek better protection for Scottish and UK beekeepers[/QUOTE]
    Agreed. The Annual Delegates meeting of the BBKA had a vote FOR a ban by the delegates, but the BBKA executive has not done anything that I am aware of.

Blog Entries

The bbka has an uncanny knack of getting on the wrong side of every issue.

From the BBKA website....
    2 April 2015
    Further update: Small Hive Beetle
    Small Hive Beetle (SHB) and Importation of Honey bees and hive products Further to the recent posting on the BBKA website the subject was discussed at the meeting of the Bee Health Advisory Forum held on 30 March 2015.
    It is clear that the Government is not minded to contemplate a ban on the importation of honey bees reiterating its previous position that the current exportation restrictions in place in Italy and the importation and inspection controls in place for the UK are appropriate.
    The BBKA, mandated by the membership at its 2015 Annual Delegate Meeting to demand a ban on imports from the affected area, remains concerned about the fact that any importation of honeybees
    increases the possibility of the introduction of Small Hive Beetle into the country. The best way to ensure that the pest is not imported into the country on honey bees is to introduce a temporary restriction on the importation of honey bees into the UK and that this remains in place until the
    outbreak in Italy is under control and the pest has been eradicated. It is inappropriate to focus activity on containing this new pest on arrival in the UK, as appears to be the preferred approach.
    More stringent measures are needed to prevent or at the very least delay the arrival of SHB, which will give beekeepers and the authorities more time to prepare for any outbreak.
    The BBKA will continue to press the authorities to impose a ban

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete L View Post
    From the BBKA website.........
    Interesting. Why then did the BBKA make those silly pronouncements on the relative risks of fruit and bees after the Italian infestation was uncovered? Better late than never I suppose.

This is just in. An announcement from NBU via Scottish Government staff:

'“Although we knew already, the Swiss authorities have formally confirmed that based on morphological analysis and additional confirmation by PCR, the suspect larvae found in the apiary in the Canton of Uri are categorically not Aethina tumida.”

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    '“Although we knew already, the Swiss authorities have formally confirmed that based on morphological analysis and additional confirmation by PCR, the suspect larvae found in the apiary in the Canton of Uri are categorically not Aethina tumida.”
    The picture was obviously scavenging fly larvae feeding on the rotting corpses of bees.....not at all SHB food.

Surprised at two things. 1. That a bee inspector could have though it SHB. 2. The zeal with which a few seized on a plainly wrong diagnosis.
    Plaudits and respect to busybeephilip for using his eyes and experience.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Agreed. The Annual Delegates meeting of the BBKA had a vote FOR a ban by the delegates, but the BBKA executive has not done anything that I am aware of.
    If you want to be picky the vote was that the BBKA should lobby government to change the legislation to ban the importation of bees. Would be safe to say that this was not enthusiastically received by the BBKA but I think it's a little optimistic to expect huge changes in 3 months (and expecting that the BFA would oppose it).

Blog Entries

Surprised at two things...
    Only a matter of time though if imports continue and lets hope this scare focuses a few minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    ....lets hope this scare focuses a few minds.
    My increasing cynicism makes me think that it's more likely to go the other way and encourage complacency... 'wasn't anything in it last time...'

Blog Entries

False alarm- breathing normally again http://www.vdrb.ch/aktuelles/news/ne...-im-kanton-uri

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk