Thread: awareness

Default awareness

Hi all, our first post on here and not a good one but thought i would give those in West Lothian a heads up.

We had someone go into our hives at the start of December last year and they destroyed one hive (took the frames from a hive and threw them on the trees) and then left another 2 hives partially open. It was too cold to do a proper inspection on the rest.

Until today that is. Seems they went through all our hives and did a great job of removing frames and destroying queens. At least 8 hives are not gonna make it now.

So please be wary of who gets to know where your hives are because it has to have been someone who knows what they are doing.

However, we do know that there is a person going around sites in West Lothian and visiting people to find out their set-up and their names has been dropped to us a few times and to the police but because there's no proof we cant do anything as of yet.

So beware, there's a snake in the camp and take extra caution.

Dave

Sorry to hear this. It's sad to think someone you trusted to show your bees to has mist likely done this. Karma will one day come calling on this person.

Not new. Sadly West Lothian is a problem area for theft of our hives. Police not really any use, did all their interviews with us, released the story to the media which then turned up worldwide, apparently took it seriously. However when we visited the police station to find out how they had got on two officers went outside and gave our vehicle a good going over and I had to produce all my documents! They eventually came up with a lead on the stolen hives, and sure enough, they matched the descriptions perfectly. Shame it was just another of our apiaries that a sharp eyed walker had spotted. They never did visit someone whose name we gave them. A known bee thief from another part of the country who had moved there, and is still around the area I think.

There does seem to have been a correlation between frequency of theft and proximity to Broxburn............not seeking to stigmatise Broxburn, but the two worst event have been nearby.

Got hives under standstill stolen once down there. The only occasion in my life that I hoped the bees had foulbrood. (They didn't in case anyone asks.)

Also, the serial visits to one place is also a pattern. First they take a few hives, or nucs from your brood nests. Then they are short of gear and come back and steal your supers, maybe another hive or two, and the queen excluders too. If they are short again they come back for whatever they need. Only cure was empty the apiary ourselves. So we moved the hives that were left away to Threemiletown, came back next day and the miscreant had made off with some of our pallets. Very brazen.
    Last edited by Calluna4u; 20-03-2015 at 05:05 PM.

It is just the worse thing to discover your hives have been tampered with, then on closer inspection find there have been 6 frames removed from the hive, the winter cluster. I have to say from my experience the police have been very good, came out every time, 3. Have given them some info that they are pursuing, although it's doubtful I'll ever get my bees back. I had a good site, it's not secure now, so I would confirm what Hypostatic/Alclosier say, be very wary of who gets to know where you keep your bees.

Yeah well we have had to quit our main site but have just been given cctv monitoring equipment for a new apiary site we got donated. Its great too cause it runs for 2 days and then if there's been any problems we can check it over. Its also camoflaged lol. U in West Lothian guys?

Eeek! Sorry - edited this by mistake. Border between the city and W Lothian you said?

Sorry!
    Last edited by gavin; 23-03-2015 at 07:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Sorry to hear about that Dave.

Crime in city centres: down due to cameras.
    Traffic speeding: ditto
    Shoplifting: probably similar.

Technology may sort this in time - when it is cheap enough (maybe from now) we can either discourage them or catch, shame and punish them.

Quote Originally Posted by alclosier View Post
    Eeek! Sorry - edited this by mistake. Border between the city and W Lothian you said?

Sorry!
    Outrageous Gavin!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alclosier View Post
    Outrageous Gavin!
    I plead tiredness (and stupidity)

Blog Entries

I have a wee device that someone made for me that sends me a text message if the hive is disturbed plus a gps signal should the hive be taken - I will look for you, I will find you and I will "shame" you !