Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Snelgrove

I got a replacement Nicot kit from Simon last year, so I'll be giving that a shot in the top box
    Oh yes and made up a load 3 frame spacers

Hardly secret DR ... nothing much more than what Wally Shaw describes in that link you provided earlier. I currently sometimes use a split board with a single entrance, but have to reverse it to bleed more bees off. Using a Snelgrove board will give me a little more flexibility. I'm just dabbling really, but also want to try 'improving' the stock by providing larvae of my choice, rather than letting them use their own.

My experience with teaching queen rearing was that the grafting/cell raiser/mini nuc route (which is pretty much the way I've always done it) was all a bit too hardcore for beekeepers who sometimes struggle to find the queen ... it's fine if you want a dozen, but is a right palaver for just two. A simple split board works very nicely, but I reckon I can still learn a lot more by having a go with a Snelgrove board.

As an aside, and with the same goals, I've also (badly) built and used a Horsley board but didn't get on with it too well.

Lol!
    I have a horsley board I bought from Stamfordham some years back but I haven't used it either ( Yet )
    I even bought some stuff to make a few but made more Snelgroves instead
    I wasn't sure if the author was Wally Shaw because of the initials

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 20-02-2016 at 12:58 PM.

What difference a year makes, complete opposite of last year. came back from holiday to find 1 out of 4 apideas with a laying queen, top boxes of Snelgrove units have 4 out of the 5 checked so far with laying queens and sealed brood, 3 more to check. They must have gotten down to business pretty quickly.
    Just need to sort them out before they move to the next level.

Lost a swarm to one of the smaller colonies, put a Snelgrove board on what I thought was the smallest of the possibilities,mated queen laying in the top ,but the bottom swarmed, caught an un mated virgin which I brought home in a nuc. Working well in the main.

Quote Originally Posted by nemphlar View Post
    Lost a swarm to one of the smaller colonies, put a Snelgrove board on what I thought was the smallest of the possibilities,mated queen laying in the top ,but the bottom swarmed, caught an un mated virgin which I brought home in a nuc. Working well in the main.
    Yes the weather stepped in stopping me getting the old queens out of the bottom while it drizzled for a week
    Then today the weather switches and it's all hands to the pumps getting round them
    While making up 12 mininucs
    Grafting, inspecting and hiving two swarms
    Bleeding knackered but a bit closer to being back on course
    Might even get some honey off if the weather holds

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk