Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snelgrove

Cool Snelgrove

Spent a sunny Sunday afternoon putting 8 snellgrove boards together and listening to the bees on the surviving crocuses, lovely. Any users out there able to advise on centre mesh type, varroa floor type or fine mesh cloth or other

Hi Nemphlar
    I had a bit of a theory about using a finer mesh because it stops the varroa migrating through the mesh
    Moving from the sealed larvae in the top box down to where the queen is laying in the bottom box
    But it depends really I suppose on how many phoretic mites there are when the split is made
    Anyway I bought the mesh cut into 6"squares from JT wirecloth but they seem to have gone now
    The black coated stuff from Thornes won't make a mite barrier but it cuts with scissors and that's a help

Blog Entries

Taking my cue from some of the inventive ideas expressed in small hive beetle traps (and I'm only partly kidding) what about a posh DR-Snelgrove board. Two layers of mesh, one coarse, one fine to stop the mites going further. Even better the mites travel to the edge of the fine screen to meet their end in a bath of oil cunningly concealed around the margin of the screen. I can see the Crowdfunding page now .....

Thanks chaps, I think I'm convinced a varroa exclusion mesh is good idea for all reasons you suggest DR. The idea of a fine under mesh and top varroa sounds interesting I'll try that, a smear of petroleum jelly round the lip of the board should stop any return.
    As for the mesh I had the opportunity years ago to salvage a pile of stainless cloth type mesh from a skip at last I have a use for it

Jus a pic of some snelgrove boards waiting for the warmer weather
    snelgroves.jpg

Mine are more at the economy levelimage.jpg

Hi Nemphlat
    Have you dyed them green along the edge ?

When the last door switch is done the new queen will use that for mating flights
    I just pin a lid from a margerine tub under the door to give her a better target to look for

No DR, I always seal the outside of the plywood on the crown boards, I used to use thinned varnish when I had mostly cedar, this is white undercoat and green gloss.
    Thanks for the tip on marking the virgins return door, I intend trying all 8 boards this year so I will need any tips you have I bought snellgrove swarming book this year and am working my way through it. I lost a few swarms last year partly lack of time at the right moments, the boards would give me some flexibility

Hi nemphlar
    Good idea I should be sealing the edges thats why they warp

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=27592
    A while back I posted in the beekeeping forum thread
    There are some tips in there
    You will know all the stuff but it might be worth reading
    I made up some record cards with door timings but the file isn't on this computer so will post later

Quality stuff DR that's getting printed and placed in snelgroves book, the years I've been messing about with bees I've never tried a snelgroves board, I'll be gutted after all this time if this proves to be what I should've been doing 20 years ago