Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: New site coming to your screen soon

Blog Entries

I could apply for one of the Apprenticeship jobs with Jon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    I could apply for one of the Apprenticeship jobs with Jon.
    As long as you are about 18 years old, not related to any living bee farmer, not an accountant or scientist, and Jon is a BFA member!

Jon has enough colonies now if he is interested. He would still need to find two people, one to propose and one to second!

Blog Entries

I thought you need about 150 colonies. I only have about 50 and a load of Apideas.

Prakel, you are not kidding about picking up an injury. The bad back I have really cramps my style.

Blog Entries

20-39 - associate membership
    40 upwards - full membership in various tiers

http://beefarmers.co.uk/join-the-bee...s-association/

Blog Entries

Whats the definition of a colony.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    Whats the definition of a colony.
    Good question. For example, I wonder whether the BFA definition (for membership purposes) is the same as the BBKA's definition for eligibility to their Public Liability Insurance?

Interesting thread, sorry to have missed it earlier in the year.

We rear a lot of queens and produce a lot of nucs for sale each year, we do it because we enjoy it and it contributes to our income. All of our bees are home reared here in the South of England which does limit the scope we have to produce more to meet early season demand.
    We don't handle any imports at all, but I can see why people do, quite simply it's easy money. No real work, no real risk.

The trouble is that QUALITY home bred Bees & Queens are undervalued in our market in relation to the costs of production, certainly either queens or nucs that have been overwintered demand a significant premium over spring production. Anyone who sells them cheap is not in it to earn a living for sure.

We also differentiate our nuc prices on frame size, a 14x12 is 1/3 bigger than a standard national for example, so more brood, more bees and more stores. Surely that has to demand a premium.

Sipa
    Last edited by Charlie; 17-09-2015 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post

We also differentiate our nuc prices on frame size, a 14x12 is 1/3 bigger than a standard national for example, so more brood, more bees and more stores. Surely that has to demand a premium.

Sipa
    Not really, other than the difference in equipment costs, there's very little value in an extra thousand or so bees.
    The value is in the healthy colony headed by a suitable queen. Nobody would pay an extra 25% for a 5frame nuc over a 4 frame nuc, especially when the extra bees only represent a matter of a few days in spring.

Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    Not really, other than the difference in equipment costs, there's very little value in an extra thousand or so bees.
    The value is in the healthy colony headed by a suitable queen. Nobody would pay an extra 25% for a 5frame nuc over a 4 frame nuc, especially when the extra bees only represent a matter of a few days in spring.
    I think it depends on the size and quality of the nuc. There have been reports of '5 frame' nucs being sold with foundation and few bees; othertimes a nuc can have several frames of sealed brood that's ready for rapid increase in size.

I would love to see a nuc that overwintered on foundation, I was working on the presumption that a 5 frame nuc would have 5 frames of bees on drawn comb with 2 frames of brood minimum. The comments were only on the difference in value between 14x12 and standard. If we presume both a standard and a 14x12 with 5 frames of bees and simillar brood/stores/ arrangements then i dont see much value in the extra bees in the 14x12.
    Out of interest Charlie , how much extra do you charge for a 14x12 ( not 33% surely)?
    Last edited by SDM; 21-09-2015 at 11:23 PM.