Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New site coming to your screen soon

Default New site coming to your screen soon

I have been reading posts here re AMM and elsewhere regarding sourcing bees.

I along with my web expert are intending launching a new contact site for bees (nucs and colonies) Queens and kit. Backed up with a forum to enable conversation between vendors and purchasers.

With some luck and Lee's time, by the end of next week we will be up and running.

Personally I was taken aback by the costs of auctioning nucs, some 20% shared between vendor (12.5 & purchaser 7.5%) per nuc. I also thought the timing was not the best to show the nucs at their best, so I am offering a betterr option.

I am thinking £10 an ad. So a saving of £2-50 on a £100 nuc, and no charge for the other X advertised, just a one off fee. Being of Scottish blood that appeals to me.

Site name is: nucsandbees.co.uk

I am also hoping it may assist the AMM fans to contact the vendors.

PH
    Last edited by Poly Hive; 28-02-2015 at 09:14 PM.

What about fee for posting add for queen? Or other items? Good idea tho cos it seems to be in all regions that only those in-the-know actually know where to source queens and nucs of good quality from. Someone new needs a point of contact like this site to help them.

Very interesting point "brothermoo"

. I was thinking £10 for a nuc, £20 for a colony and £5 a queen.

Thoughts welcome as nothing yet is set up.

PH

Blog Entries

what is a 'web expert'

I sell Amm queens and there is massive demand. I could sell way more than I can produce. Why on earth would anyone want to get involved with an intermediary who wants a commission. In this day and age you sell direct. Three years hosting on a wordpress site costs about £100. Paypal take 20p per transaction and about 3% of every sale. I don't understand your business model as it looks like you are just looking a commission between seller and buyer.
    Last edited by Jon; 28-02-2015 at 10:59 PM.

I tend to agree Jon. Not sure I see the point PH. Selling nucs and queens is not a problem and advertising through your site wouldn't be something I personally would do.

I think a source of information for newbees to find reputable sellers is worth a bit of commission. Perhaps more of an ad site linked to a forum with so much per ad fir a timescale? The forum on your planned site might actually negate the site as people will be private messaging the traders and bypassing any commission.

Blog Entries

NIHBS is working on a system of approved sellers of native stock.

Blog Entries

I'm also going down the route of preparing to sell bees and queens and don't see any advantage in going through an intermediary. Also, I thought that you sold carnie crosses from imports through Murray rather than Amm?

For more general sales folk in Scotland sometimes post a small ad here for no charge and no commission, and if they are regular sellers they would take out a small ad in the Scottish Beekeeper. There is also the Beekeeping Forum where, for a small fee, folk can advertise nucs for sale. The footfall there is large, can't see you competing with that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    NIHBS is working on a system of approved sellers of native stock.
    Brilliant! It is about time someone started a scheme of approving sellers. Folk that sign up to certain standards and can guarantee that they don't use imported stock.

Lol.
    Jon, Gerry and Gavin have it, but good luck anyway, I think many beekeepers would find the services of a "web expert" helpful for 21st century bee sales.