Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moray thefts

Blog Entries

A cheap frame top bar brander would be a good idea, electric rather that blow torch ?

Quote Originally Posted by busybeephilip View Post
    A cheap frame top bar brander would be a good idea, electric rather that blow torch ?
    Humm where would one acquire one of these I wonder ??????? Pray tell!

Not sure if ultraviolet pens would be a good idea ??? that way they would not know there marked until the UV light was shined on them....

Humm this has got me thinking know

Blog Entries

A lot of the recent AFB cases in NI can be traced back to one bee trader who was also marketing them as 'Native Irish bees' without any valilidation from NIHBS.
    The first case of AFB was brought to the attention of the bee inspector by a beginner who had bought a nuc and knew there was something not quite right with it so called in the inspector.

Just came across this and I think they're worth every penny, I will be getting a few that's for sure.

92129.jpg

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p92129

NOW only £69.11 small price to pay!

Blog Entries

I suppose there is nothing to stop anyone selling bees no matter how they are described.

Its good that the beginner noticed that something was wrong but the disease may have originated from a source where the bees were robbing from and not the person who sold the bees?
    Last edited by busybeephilip; 01-09-2015 at 01:40 PM.

The Anglesey thefts were from a training apiary too, that's the angle I would pursue.

Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post
    Just came across this and I think they're worth every penny, I will be getting a few that's for sure.

92129.jpg

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p92129

NOW only £69.11 small price to pay!
    I bought a camera of this type, they are good, the images captured in daylight are brilliant, but not so clear at night with IR. The thief stealing from my apiary came at night, I recognise the bas***d from the fuzzy image, but apparently not good enough for the police to arrest him. (So they say) A small comfort though to know my suspicions were correct.

They should at least have knocked on his door, but it seems most forces don't actually investigate crime any more.
    You do have another option to force their hand(I've used it this year for a theft that the police would not investigate)
    You know this person committed the crime, therefore you have the right to arrest him yourself. If you don't feel up to that simply co tact the officer that took your statement and tell him you are going to do it, they will then have to come and get him anyway or arrest you for unlawful detention ( they won't do this as then they would have to explain why they didn't follow up on your initial id and of course because you would counter sue for the same unlawful detention).
    People never take it very well when arrested by a citizen and in 8 times I've done it always try to leave . At this point you may use whatever force is necessary to detain him til the police arrive, but because you are not trained in arrest and restraint you get massive leaway on reasonable force in court. For example , 3 broken ribs and a ruptured kidney was considered ok to break the grip on the car my thief was trying to get into. So there's the opportunity for a little personal retribution as well.