Thread: Moray thefts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

I reckon the smaller scale thefts are often isolated beekeepers replenishing depleted apiares after their lack of decent management left them with empty boxes. However the trade in bees probably takes some too. There are plenty of characters in beekeeping (again, in the main unlikely to be those who join associations) who trade in a dodgy manner. Passing off imports as local stock for example.

The Tim Lovett interview on R Scotland this morning, playing up the financial value of single hives, will not have reduced some folk's urge to help themselves.

Blog Entries

It is a simple matter to write something characteristic on the top bars, acronym for the association or business, or your postcode. It looks like the Anglesey victim didn't do this. It has to be a bold thief who is happy to have that in their hives while there is an active inspection service - unless you are at a time of year when shook swarming might work. Selling-on marked and stolen frames is not going to be easy.

Blog Entries

A cheap frame top bar brander would be a good idea, electric rather that blow torch ?

Quote Originally Posted by busybeephilip View Post
    A cheap frame top bar brander would be a good idea, electric rather that blow torch ?
    Humm where would one acquire one of these I wonder ??????? Pray tell!

Not sure if ultraviolet pens would be a good idea ??? that way they would not know there marked until the UV light was shined on them....

Humm this has got me thinking know

Blog Entries

A lot of the recent AFB cases in NI can be traced back to one bee trader who was also marketing them as 'Native Irish bees' without any valilidation from NIHBS.
    The first case of AFB was brought to the attention of the bee inspector by a beginner who had bought a nuc and knew there was something not quite right with it so called in the inspector.

Just came across this and I think they're worth every penny, I will be getting a few that's for sure.

92129.jpg

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p92129

NOW only £69.11 small price to pay!

Blog Entries

I suppose there is nothing to stop anyone selling bees no matter how they are described.

Its good that the beginner noticed that something was wrong but the disease may have originated from a source where the bees were robbing from and not the person who sold the bees?
    Last edited by busybeephilip; 01-09-2015 at 01:40 PM.