Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moray thefts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Moray thefts

Sad news via Facebook from the Moray Beekeepers. I wouldn't necessarily blame people that have visited. Word gets round about such sites and they are vulnerable to anyone minded to steal. I hope that they get them.

WATCH OUT, THERE IS A BEEKEEPING THIEF ABOUT!

A number of hives and bees have been stolen from our training apiary which is near Elgin. This is very disappointing as the thief is likely to be either one of our members or someone who has been on a training course with us. These hives belonged to our members and were used to help train new beekeepers. We also used them to show groups of school children and other visitors inside a hive of bees.
    The police have been informed and are investigating. We have introduced new security measures to prevent it happening again.
    We have also introduced the following new rule.
    'No one is allowed on the training Apiary site without being accompanied by a member of the committee'.
    I'm sure you will understand why we have to bring this in and ask members for their co-operation.
    If anyone has any information please let us know as we would like them back!

Blog Entries

This seems to be getting more common. There are a lot of thefts reported on BKF, mostly in Southern England.

Blog Entries

There seems to be a trend with timings of thefts, usually around now - April, when the Hives are more manageable / transportable?

Gavin knowing the site concerned I would tend to agree with Moray Beeks that the culprit is likely to be someone who has visited. It's an appalling thing to have happened and I sincerely hope the police catch whoever it is. We are quite close geographically to the apiary so everyone in our association is on the lookout for someone trying to offload kit and bees.

Angry

All I can say is If they do find out who did it CUT OFF THERE HANDS I WOULD, as they did in the olden days. They also should be named and shamed

Blog Entries

Perhaps a bit over the top. I'd be happy with them being caught, prosecuted and convicted.

The thing I find strange is not so much who is doing the stealing but who is buying the the hives
    If somebody I did not know offered me bees I would want to know a bit more about them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I reckon the smaller scale thefts are often isolated beekeepers replenishing depleted apiares after their lack of decent management left them with empty boxes. However the trade in bees probably takes some too. There are plenty of characters in beekeeping (again, in the main unlikely to be those who join associations) who trade in a dodgy manner. Passing off imports as local stock for example.

The Tim Lovett interview on R Scotland this morning, playing up the financial value of single hives, will not have reduced some folk's urge to help themselves.

Blog Entries

It is a simple matter to write something characteristic on the top bars, acronym for the association or business, or your postcode. It looks like the Anglesey victim didn't do this. It has to be a bold thief who is happy to have that in their hives while there is an active inspection service - unless you are at a time of year when shook swarming might work. Selling-on marked and stolen frames is not going to be easy.